20 Questions: Surf Perspective - Sunrize Mornington

Submitted by Zelda Zimberman

20 Questions: Surf Perspective is part of a continuing series SurfWatch will be running as participants respond to Zelda's questionaire.

1. Name: 
Sunrize, Sun, Sunny Bunny, Sun Bun.... ROFL
2. Team: 
Montego

3. Surfing Since: 
2008

4. Favorite Board and why?: 
SSI short board. I just love the movement of it and it fits my body better than a long board. ;)

5. Favorite Wave and why?: 
Joaquina because it works well with short and long boards.

6. How did you come across surfing on SL and what was your first initial reaction to it?:  Maldrul Morris told me about SL and surfing in SL. So I signed up for SL and started checking out the surfing. It didn't take long to get addicted. LOL

7. Are you involved in the SLSA (second life surfing association) in any way? (competitions, events, etc.): 
I have been a director, judge and competitor.

8. What are your thoughts or opinions on the direction on the SLSA from 2012 and beyond?: 
I think the SLSA is going in a good direction. This season we have seen a lot of new surfers join and compete. The SL9B exhibit brought a lot of attention to the SLSA and a lot of people have been checking into the organization. I understand the reasons behind branching out with boards other than the SSI boards, even though my favorite will always be SSI, it is always better to evolve so that we do not get old and stagnant. I hope we have gatherings other than surf comps in the future. It is fun to hang out and party with the surfing community.

9. What do/did you find positive and negative about it?: 
The only negative thing I can think of is the communication between the directors and the surf community. Although the SLSA has improved in this area.

How would you like to see it improve more?: 
I know how hard the directors work. There is more to the job of a director than just sitting around and having discussions on the surf season. Saying this I would like to add one more, this would fall under the communication officers job, have a monthly communication telling the SLSA community what is being worked on. I feel keeping everyone informed would benefit the community as a whole. Examples would be: awards ceremonies, changes in rules or constitution, changes in boards or waves for upcoming events, recruiting event staff, how the SLSA home sim is doing financially and scheduling training classes. Not all people go to the forum frequently and sending out information to the entirety of the group would help keep the lines open between members and directors.

10. Do you compete in any surfing competitions SLSA or non?: 
Not with any other SL surf organization but I do surf in off season comps. I have surfed in the Tsunami tandem (one of my favorites! I miss them.) and Vibers surf events.

11. What do/did you find gratifying and dissatisfying about competitions?: 
Trying to get staff for the events. I don't understand why more people are not active in their organization. You are not penalized for judging. Marshalls get to surf just as the EC can choose to surf. It is fun to be involved and feel even more part of this wonderful group, more so than surfing alone.

12. How do you feel about the SLSA using non SSI boards for competitions? (ex; HP5, LSD, Action): 
My preference is SSI boards. I have little to no experience in the other boards. But I guess I need to get that experience. LOL Like I said branching out the boards and waves keeps us evolving. Just don't ever stop using ssi altogether. :) The only problem is in today's economy there are a lot of people that just can't afford to buy boards so rezzers would have to be used.

13. If you are currently inactively involved in competitions (surfing, judging, etc.) what was the reason for leaving? Would you want to come back and participate? Please explain your answer: 
Leave the SLSA? Not be involved? My computer would have to die first. But I have Maldrul to keep it running for me so I do not see that happening. LOL

14. What are your thoughts on the team dynamics? Is there a team you particularly like? Why?: 
Montego, of course. hehehehe I enjoy being co-captain. I love having practices with my team and chatting and just having a good time with all of them. I think teams are a good idea. Saying that I do not believe a person has to be a part of a team to enjoy the events. We are all extended family, a team is like the core family.

15. Is there anyone on here that particularly had an impact when it came to surfing, mentoring, and overall being a role model for you? Who and why? Please explain your answer: 
Lots of people! Maldrul introduced me to surfing in SL and gave me some of the basics, Mick held beginner classes that taught me even more. My first comp I recieved IMs from others that gave me tips to handle the board and wave. I watched others surfing and learned. Bobbi, Desi, Sally all gave tips from lag issues to how to judge. Just about any surfer, beginner to veteran will be happy to answer any question a new surfer would ask.

16. What was your favorite moment or memory on surfing here?: 
My first team was Livestrong. When it was dissolved I felt so lonely. Then I met Kohona and Robbin. We would surf the fluffs together and they taught me a lot about them. Then I joined Montego. That was the happiest day for me.

17. Is there anyone you know or knew that isn't active as much in surfing and would like to see come back? Who and why?: 
Socks Clawtooth. He was a good surfer and always had cute AVs. :)

18. Many people have strong opinions when it comes to SL surfing and RL surfing. What is your take on the comparison?: 
Seeing that I am not a RL surfer, sad but true, I can only compare by videos I have seen. There really isn't a way to make SL exactly like rl surfing. We can simulate it. I feel it doesn't matter if a person has never surfed in RL. There are a lot of reasons why one cannot surf in RL. SL gives those people a chance to at least have some experience and fun with surfing.

19. Do you have any advice for new SL surfers on here?: 
✿❤✿.¸¸.Have Fun!.¸¸.✿❤✿

20. Any other thoughts?: 
Don't get frustrated. If you are having problems surfing the way you wish to, ask someone. If they don't know the answer the odds are good they know someone that will.
Share:

No comments: