20 Questions: Surf Perspective - Lanky Silvercloud

Submitted by Zelda Zimberman

20 Questions: Surf Perspective is part of a continuing series SurfWatch will be running as participants respond to Zelda's questionaire.

1. Name:
  Lanky Silvercloud

2. Team:
Reef Riders

3. Surfing Since:
  June 2010

4. Favorite Board and why?:
Well it was my custom SSI but since the last comp at Encinitas the HP5 is now my favorite, after surfing on the HP5, going back to the SSI seems like surfing in honey. :P

5. Favorite Wave and why?:
The Teahupo'o ..it's a nice long ride, love the tube and a bit of fluffy at the end.

6. How did you come across surfing on SL and what was your first initial reaction to it?: I love the beach ..and surfing in rl and when I was about a month old in here a new friend told me about Braata beach and how there was surfing in here. I went there and met a girl called Bree who helped me get started. To be honest, my first reaction was like WOW. I was sitting at my keyboard with this silly huge grin on my face. Then I went to a surf a class held by Abel and Jordy Halderman. Jordy put me in Reef Riders and I was hooked.

7. Are you involved in the SLSA (Second Life Surfing Association) in any way? (competitions, events, etc.):
Ok, now I feel totally guilty. The answer is yes I'm a member, but as for getting involved ..not yet. I've been meaning to judge of course, but never seem to be online for any. My time zone and work hours have kept me from doing it. But I swore to myself that this year I will make the effort to do it. It's time I gave something back to the SLSA.

8. What are your thoughts or opinions on the direction on the SLSA from 2012 and beyond?:
I think the directors are doing a fantastic job. The time and effort they put into organizing the events is amazing and the comps just keep getting better and better. One thing I think would be good is if we had more beach parties. Not during comps, but just parties to let all the up and coming new faces get to know everyone and just chat and dance without the nerves of having to compete.

9. What do/did you find positive and negative about it?:
Well there was a brief time when there was some politics getting in the way, but I think now everyone is on the same page and in it for the same reason. Things are going great now that the comps are getting better and the number of new faces on the scene is great to see. Keeps us oldies on our toes.

How would you like to see it improve more?:
N/A

10. Do you compete in any surfing competitions SLSA or non?:
I love competing. I try to get in every comp but as usual rl interrupts sometimes. I still get a bad case of the shakes b4 every comp.

11. What do/did you find gratifying and dissatisfying about competitions?:
Hmm, ok...only thing I despise is when that old lag monster shows his ugly head. What I love is everything else :)..the surfing and especially the mateship between all the competitors etc. "WE ARE FAMILY.. *sings*.

12. How do you feel about the SLSA using non SSI boards for competitions? (ex; HP5, LSD, Action):
Well to be honest I think the SLSA is on the right track starting to use the other types of boards..it has to grow with new developments and broaden its' views to keep up with the times. The HP's, LSD's etc can be frustrating to people that are so used to the SSI's, but after the Encinitas comp I'm looking forward to more comps with these boards. It breathed some new life into the comps and was a lot of fun.

13. If you are currently inactively involved in competitions (surfing, judging, etc.) what was the reason for leaving? Would you want to come back and participate? Please explain your answer: Will never stop participating (smiles).

14. What are your thoughts on the team dynamics? Is there a team you particularly like? Why?:
Well being a Reef Rider from the start of course they are the bestest....but I think ALL teams are great and they all have a sense of family about them. We defend each other vehemently, but will also cheer on all other teams and their members. That is the whole spirit of surfing to me.

15. Is there anyone on here that particularly had an impact when it came to surfing, mentoring, and overall being a role model for you? Who and why? Please explain your answer:
Hmm,well everyone I met on the surf scene were always more than willing to help which I thought was so great. But if I had to pick a handful that really nudged me in the right direction to stay on a wave it would have to be Jordy Halderman, Bobbi Laval, Robbin Ember and Rayzza Rubble.

16. What was your favorite moment or memory on surfing here?:
My first ever comp. I was soo nervous I almost didn't compete lol, but did and ended up tying for first place. I was so shocked it was amazing.

17. Is there anyone you know or knew that isn't active as much in surfing and would like to see come back? Who and why?:
There's a couple I can think of that I miss. Dane Kutenai and Dan Numbanumba both are really nice and fun guys, and hopefully we'll see them back more in the future. But I think it would be great to see everyone who left to get back when they can and all them to see what a great direction we are taking this year.

18. Many people have strong opinions when it comes to SL surfing and RL surfing. What is your take on the comparison?:
Well I have to admit I loathed the HP5 board when I first got on it, but after many fights with it and being the stubborn person I can be I now think that riding it is more like rl surfing. You have to think about your ride more and plan it just like in rl. I hurt my back over 12 months ago and had to give up rl surfing, so surfing in here is my soul medication lol.

19. Do you have any advice for new SL surfers on here?:
Well all I can say to them is get involved, don't get disheartened by a bad ride, and most of all participate and have FUN.

20. Any other thoughts?: 
 I've been involved in a lot of activities in my time in sl and all good, but I have to say that the surf scene is by far the best. It's sad to see so many great surf sims closing lately but we really need to get behind the ones that still exist and help them to stay open. These people don't ask for anything. They don't put these sims up for themselves. They do it for us. So we need to do all we can to show we appreciate their efforts and give to them like they do for us.


Share:

No comments: