SLSA Team Member Informal Survey - Part 8

Submitted by Kantbe Thursday

Prompted by some of the questions about teams being asked by people who are new to surfing in Second Life® and the SL Surfing Association (SLSA), Surfwatch recently conducted an informal survey of surfers who are currently registered as team members for teams who have had competitors in the SLSA competitions over the past year. While individuals will not be identified by response, the nature of some responses may be a bit individually unique and suggest who provided that response. For the most part, any edits to responses were kept to a minimum in order to provide anonymity to all. (Editor's note: This is the last part of a continuing series as SurfWatch posts the survey questions and responses.)

SW: Please make any other comments you would like regarding competition teams in the SLSA


It's plain fun to have a team to surf with.

I hope teams never go away!

I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the competition in Montego's rear view mirror.

I understand that we are, on the RL side of the screen, social animals. We like to be part of groups, compete as groups, an so on. But surfing is not a team sport. It's you, a wave, and what you got. Cheering for your teammates does not make a team sport, it makes a support network at best and forced fandom at worst. But I also understand why they exist. We're social animals, we like to compete as teams.

I was adamant on not changing my mind about using different boards in competitions.. but when I tried other boards I thought it was interesting trying something from a different perspective. SSI board will always be my number one board to use.. but I think trying something new would bring a different spark to competing and would be good to get out of that comfort zone.

What I love most is the spirit of surfing in the SLSA,we can be very competitive against other teams,but always there's courtesy, mateship and respect for all members, that's what keeps me coming back

Teams are healthy vibrant...Dat shit cray

It is easy to congratulate a person when they win, but my team is there when I fall off the wave, and they pick me back up, dust off my behind and throw me back on my board. That is a team.

SW: Thanks to all of you who responded.  Surfwatch intends to follow up this article with a resurrection of the Team Profiles in order to provide more specific information regarding the current teams registered with the SLSA. Stay tuned for more to come!
Share:

No comments: