Director Spotlight

The June SLSA Board of Directors election is coming up and there are always a lot of questions about just what each Director does so here at SurfWatch, we are spotlighting each position. Each week in May you will find a new spotlight on each position held.

Name: GiavannaMarie Melody

Role/Responsibilty: Sponsor Liason

SW: What do you enjoy about this position?
Gia: One of my biggest responsibilities on the board is being the Sponsor Liaison. This job includes gathering sponsors for our season. This includes getting all their information as far as Landmarks and Textures to their place of business. I am also responsible for getting the stands out for each competition, making sure all our sponsors textures and landmarks are set out on the displays on the stands, and updating the displays behind the winners stand. I find it fun and a challenge at the same time. Trying to find new sponsors is one of the biggest challenges. We have so many great sponsors; it has been a privilege to work with all of them. Then there is the day to day operation of being a director; voting on topics and regularly checking the forums and completing new registrations to name a few of my other responsibilities.

SW: What do you find the most challenging about this position?
Gia: One of the other challenges that my position faces is finding volunteers to work our events. This includes Head judge, Judge, and Marshals. I believe that we are starting to make great strides in this focus area of the directors. I really hope more people are willing to help, and if they are not sure how, I encourage them to contact the directors. Remember, without these people, having a competition could not be possible.


SW: Anything else you would like to add?
Gia: This season has been really fun. We added a challenging course this season. Some feel that it was very reminiscent of the old Bone yard. Trying to come up with innovative and fresh new layouts for the competitions is something I strongly believe in. Also, we have seen a great growth in SL surfing altogether. I would like to encourage this growth of development. But on the turn side, we still need to focus on how we can save our current surf sims and seek out new venues.

I would like to end with thanking everyone who has trusted me in being one of their representatives on the board. I would also like to thank those who have helped me develop as a director and guided my process. Their knowledge and lessons are not forgotten.

Share:

No comments: