Surf's up at Boneyard!

'Most dangerous' surf break in Second Life opens; Boneyard ready to add to it's collection!

By Ashleigh Dickins
.

Co-owner Radical Twang at the new Boneyard Beach

Last fall saw the birth of the Boneyard, a cool hangout for surfers with games and periodic events with a double pipe surf break just steps away. The beach, located in Alternation, disappeared a few months ago. However, Boneyard Beach has now returned in a new location all it's own, looking meaner and its ready to add some more broken bones to it's collection below the water's surface!

"I achieved what I wanted; the hardest, most dangerous surf spot in Second Life," says Radical Twang co-owner of Reaction, who is also a director of the Second Life Surfing Association (SLSA). "All I knew I wanted was a big store, looking over the beach high up on a cliff, with a lot of cliff-side and reef."


The shark infested surf spot is now located in Boneyard, along with surf stores Reaction and Reaction Girl.
The new beach features a realistic shallow reef system, with pipeline and ocean foam waves breaking over about two thirds of the sim onto the rocks. Radical worked with Heather Goodliffe to integrate the reef, waves and rocky outcrops, providing a more challenging run.

"I have to say that it isn't a spot for beginners, only damn good surfers can surf there and have fun, and go back home with no broken bones!" said Vic Bonetto, Reaction Pro Captain.


Misfit surfer Christine Daffodil, ranked 7th in the final standings of the first 2008 season, also enjoyed the beach, if not the reef. "I curse Rad to evil surf sim owner hell for the rocks that I keep crashing into," says Christine. "It is deadly for someone with only 1.2 fps to try to dodge anything."



QUENCH Spotter has a close encounter with a one of Boneyard's rocks

"The views are spectacular while surfing; with the hills, trees and rocks. It's awesome in Windlight and draw distance up to 376m," says Vibrations surfer QUENCH Spotter who was surfing on the opening day. "I had some moments of hiccups - trying to dodge the rocks in the surf is ingenious idea."


The beach itself features a secluded cave, campfire, beach hut with games and events, the SLSA Hall of Fame building and 7 Seas fishing. So when you're frustrated with your surf session you can take a moment to relax and bandage your cuts and bruises, before you head back out to try and best the reef.


Useful links

SurfWatch: Reaction marks beach opening with one day sale (29 Jun 08)
URL: Reaction Pro
SLURL: Boneyard Beach
Share:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok I surfed Reaction , Nice landscape job nice store. But as for the rocks in the water they are phantom to allow the wave to pass thru. So hard to surf and such comments are a weak attempt at drumming up hype. Lets make serious comments about sl surfing. Sick of people that come in to the surf scene thinking we are all 12 yr old retards. This reminds me of a store called Action in game. Reaction similar names Similar BS
Look like these two jack asses are taking us for a ride may i say. I mean who can afford a whole sim unless your banking peace out !

Unknown said...

The rocks are actually scripted by Heather Goodliffe to work with the rocks. If you crash into one your wave disappears and you wipe out.

Also Action is a different name, and if I am correct came about after Reaction. Action does not sell Heather Goodliffe scripted surfboards, and also has a poor reputation in the SL surf community for causing trouble.

I would love to know who you are in game wrap, so we could sit down and discuss your concerns about "people [coming] into the surf scene thinking [you're] all 12 yr old retards." It's some pretty tough talk from someone I've never seen on a wave.

Also it's very rude to call anyone names when you don't know them, what two jack asses are you referring to anyway? there are so many possibilities. And many people can afford a whole sim when they've worked hard to build their business from the ground up and have put in the hours and built a solid line and reputation over quite some time.

Honestly, I feel like it's you coming into the surf scene thinking we're all the ones who are, in your own words, "12 yr old retards." After all, why else would we listen to anyone we haven't seen surf first hand? Or perhaps you're the owner of Action, out to cause more trouble.

Unknown said...

I apologize, It's nearly 2am here...

"The rocks are actually scripted by Heather Goodliffe to work with the rocks."

Should be:

"The rocks are actually scripted by Heather Goodliffe to work with the waves."

and this:

"Also Action is a different name, and if I am correct came about after Reaction."

should be:

"Also Action is a different brand, and if I am correct came about after Reaction."

My apologizes. Though I still would love to know who you are in world wrap!

Radical Twang said...

All I can do is laugh, I couldn't help myself.. but I just have to respond.

Thanks for the comment on the landscaping, and the store.

"But as for the rocks in the water they are phantom to allow the wave to pass thru. So hard to surf and such comments are a weak attempt at drumming up hype."

Now, i'll discuss the whole point of the rocks. Firstly, I wanted to provide people with something new, and a new surfing experience. I also wanted this experience, to be as hard as possible. Basically like a spot for the more experienced surfers in SL. You just proved my success on that, so thank you!

"Sick of people that come in to the surf scene thinking we are all 12 yr old retards."

I'm really not sure where that fits into anything. It seems something someone at the age of 12 would say. No one is trying to imply any one is under age, except, obviously you.

"This reminds me of a store called Action in game. Reaction similar names Similar BS"

This is the funny part. Reaction has been running since April 06. Action started over a year after. A lot know the history between Reaction and Action already, so there goes that theory out the window. For further knowledge on Reaction's history, you can read up here: http://surfreaction.com/about.htm

(Also, bobn4uyes Winkler and Marilynmonroe Munro [owners of Action], didn't even create their accounts until 07. Site also needs updating, though the history is all correct.)


"Look like these two jack asses are taking us for a ride may i say. I mean who can afford a whole sim unless your banking peace out !"

I'm assuming you're referring to Breezy Biddle, and Myself. I really can't see where you're coming from with, supposable, taking everyone for a ride. Any how, I don't like discussing my income with people, though lets just say, I wouldn't be stupid enough to buy a sim, if the sales weren't enough to cover it.

Hope that satisfied your disbeliefs with my work, and the new sim. :)

Cheers,
Rad.

Unknown said...

I have seen your comments on this and other blogs wrapguru....all totally negative and totally wrong. What hype are you talking about? A write up on a SL surfing blog? Please...what should they write about.....skydiving? skateboarding? dancing? I surfed at the new Boneyard (never had the pleasure at the old one) and it is like Ashleigh says, you hit the rock and the wave disappeared...unfortunately happened often to me...smile. I for one am new to SL surfing...just getting my feet wet. But I appreciate ppl like Radical and Heather and their efforts to throw out some new challenges...something for me to shoot for. I know it takes a lot of time and talent to do what they do and if they make money at it....well they f---g should! Hopefully soon I will be good enough to miss those rocks and by then Radical or someone like him will come up with the next challenge.

Unknown said...

Oh and btw I forgot:

Awesome shot Q! Way to hang.

Anonymous said...

Seems we have a troll...aka wrapguru. Ignore him/her/them and enjoy all sl surfing has to offer. Congrats to Rad and Breezy for making not only a great clothing line but what I have heard is a great surf sim. Life even here in sl is a circle. What you put out comes back to you.

And I will sign my name as I have no shame in anyone knowing who I am.

Lissa Pinion