A New Day Dawns: The Launch Of The X-3 Surfboard

Words and photos by Persia Bravin

It’s not often that you hear about the development of a brand-new surfboard in Second Life, so today is a great day for the SL surfing community with the announcement of the just released new ‘X-3’ board created by Shack Schapira. I first heard about this news around six months ago, after having a casual chat with Shack who has been a friend for a long time. At that stage, he was about four versions into the new board which then had the working name of ‘Alpha’ and he was busy testing various new scripts and designs.

The new X-3 is so pretty even the dolphins want a closer look!
After picking myself up off the sand dunes at this incredible news (I am a diehard C-3 surfer, so I got a bit over excited), I pointed out that ‘Alpha’ is a name given to a lot of items in SL, so he might want to consider a change when it was finally released? This initial idea sharing went on to become something longer lasting and I have been privileged to have watched the boards journey from the various concepts and test boards to this newly released final version. Shack is genuinely a brilliant board creator, and his C-3 short and long boards are well loved across the grid – so why has he decided to deviate and create something totally new?

“I spend most of my SL time building and scripting and I always welcome suggestions and ideas for new projects,” says Shack. “I’ve recently developed a skim-board based on some great ideas from one of our surfing colleagues: something I haven't yet got around to marketing.  Another recent suggestion was a board specifically for the Tots and Kidz in SL resulting in the C-TOO which is on sale in The Shack and in rezzers on some of the beaches.  Then about a year ago, someone asked me if I could make a board that interacted with the waves the way that the HP5 does and have also more control over the surfing speed like the HP5. I didn't intend making a clone of the HP5 (maybe that's a future project) but it did give me some ideas for a new board!  That was the start of what's become the X-3 project.”

Persia and Tauri try out the new X-3 at Playa Perdida
It’s been a fun few months secretly testing the X-3 board for Shack at Surfer’s Bay VIP during quiet times or quickly teleporting to a quiet sim to properly practice and test in solitude. Now… I know my C-3 like the back of hand. It is the one object that gets used every single time I log in, so the X-3 had a lot to live up to in my eyes – but it has surpassed all expectations. The paddle speed is crazy fast plus, the board propels to you to perform dazzling aerials and seems to magically cling to the crest of wave like nothing else out there, allowing for more pro tricks and a longer lasting ride. But what else is so new about the X-3?

“Whereas the C-TOO was the baby of the family, I see the X-3 as a younger sister to the mature and respected C-3…a flirty, faster and freer addition to the family!” laughs Shack. “Although I've copied some of the features of the C-3 - such as the wipeout, the somersaults and flips - the X-3 is a different board with a different feel and some very different options.  For example, if you look at the menu displayed by the X-3, you'll see options to control the camera and options for the surfing spray.  There's nothing like the C-3s choice of different performance options and no support for the phantom fluffies.”

The X-3 comes in short and long board versions
As I head back out to test another wave on this impressive board, I ask Shack what he hopes other SL surfers will feel when they experience it. He thinks carefully, before replying: “I mentioned that the X-3 is a faster board and easier to ride the waves. In making such a board, there’s always a risk of turning a surfboard into what feels like a jet ski. The challenge has been to provide a 'fun' board without completely losing any sense of surfing realism. This is what I hope I've achieved and what I hope will be appreciated and enjoyed.”

Final note from Shack Schapira:

“I must say a big thanks to Persia Bravin for her help with the project and also for giving me this opportunity to say thanks to all the surfers out there for such an amazing support for the C-3 over the past few years.”


Sunset surf on the X-3 at Surfers Bay VIP

The new X-3 board in long and short board versions has just gone on sale at The Shack
Rezzers are initially available at Shack's Surf Beach and Surfer’s Bay VIP.

Share:

No comments: