Have HUD, Will Travel

Submitted by Austin Novaland

This is a follow-up to Kantbe Thursday’s very informative article, SurfWatch Wave Report Updated.  It was originally going to be a guide on how to customize the awesome Surfsim Teleporter board that Denise Foxtrot built and that Kantbe tirelessly updates every month, but fate, as it often does, intervened.   



I have some gorgeous waves right outside the beach shack that I call my SL home, but I still enjoy visiting other sims, riding different waves, and basically exploring the SL surfing community in its entirety.  The Surfsim Teleporter boards make this an easier task, but not every sim has one, and they are sometimes difficult to find even when present.  I usually keep a copy of the Surfsim notecard in my inventory, but if you are like me, you may have trouble remembering the name, or finding the most recent of the dozen or so that you have collected over time.  I could wear my Surfsim Teleporter board, but the wood gives me splinters, and the bulkiness can interfere with my social agenda.  

While taking a short break from working on the article, I was standing on the edge of my toilet hanging a clock, the porcelain was wet, I slipped, hit my head on the sink, and when I came to I had a revelation!  A vision!  Unfortunately, it was not the key to turning a DeLorean into a time machine, but it was something only slightly less useful.  Behold the Surfsim Teleporter HUD!  Portable.  Practical.  And darn cute.  Because it checks for updates anytime it is attached (or when you log in if you are already wearing it), the latest and most complete list of surfing sims available will always be a mere mouse click away.  When minimized, and assuming the default attachment point and location have not been changed, the HUD sits unobtrusively tucked away on the bottom of the screen.  When clicked you see the fully functional HUD, ready to help you find and travel to your next destination.  The memory conscious among you may want to remove it when surfing, but at 192KB, it’s not likely to be the camel on your screen, his back, or even the straw that breaks it. 

You can get your own copy in the landing area at Surf Cove at Playa Perdida,  Bluff Cove, or by sending an IM to Kantbe Thursday or Austin Novaland.   Safe travels!        

[Editor's Note: The question mark on the expanded HUD provides the lastest copy of the simlist notecard]
Share:

No comments: