Journey to Mesh

Submitted by Dillan Munro

I was away from Second Life (SL) for quite a while, several years in fact. When I returned, I soon discovered that this whole new thing called 'Mesh' had infected the world. I had a pretty good understanding of SL and how it worked when I left, but now I felt like a newbie once more as I started exploring mesh bodies, heads, and clothes. It was a journey I'm glad I began though, as the whole concept takes our avatars to a new state of realism. I don't know about you, but the Linden version of our bodies leaves a lot to be desired to my way of thinking, especially in the areas of hands, feet, facial details, and 'other' parts. Mesh addresses all these shortcomings, but it is not without growing pains as well. I learned a lot, but I am still a neophyte as the whole implementation is quite complicated.
Dillan Munro original avatar


As with most things you buy in SL, acquiring the demo first is always a good idea. This is a must when it comes to mesh, because the way things are shown in the store or in MarketPlace are often quite different than what you will find once you buy them. The demos are quite complete; most give you the ability to tweak many of the settings that are customizable to give you a unique look and will show you what you can expect. Mesh bodies, quality ones anyway, are at least $1000L, while mesh heads are $5000L, so you don't want to make a mistake there and do an impulse buy.

Dillan Munro mesh avatar
Another drawback is that once you have gone mesh, virtually none of your old clothes are compatible, so it means a new wardrobe. At the risk of sounding sexist, this is a problem for us guys, but a bigger issue for women as they typically have much more invested in such things. Shopping around is definitely warranted, as deals can be found, and many Midnight Mania sites offer mesh items that are quite good. There are blogs and websites available that can help with details on how to make the best of your own mesh journey...Google them !

As far as my own journey goes, I ended up buying the Adam mesh body and a Catwa mesh head, both of which I couldn't be happier with. A few others have told me I look 'ok', which I take as a compliment since they are brats anyway :)
Share:

No comments: