The Legends Series: Interview with SexyBoy Oh (Originally Posted 4/11/2009)

Within the pages of SurfWatch is the rich history of Second Life (SL) surfing from the mouths of the surfers that created or developed or promoted or excelled in this virtual sport over the years.  Enjoy these interviews and the perspective from these surf legends as SurfWatch continues "The Legends Series".

Submitted by Abel Halderman, Special Correspondent








SurfWatch recently caught up with SexyBoy Oh, the hottest new surfer to medal in the Second Life Surfing Association (SLSA) competition circuit, to find out the secret to his success.

SurfWatch: Who is SexyBoy Oh?
SexyBoy Oh: Sexyboy Oh is a pure gamer who landed in SL.

SW: But you're an individual, too. Who are you? If you had to describe yourself in three sentences.
SO: I'm someone marginal who walks where life brings him. I'm eccentric. I'm creative and like innovation. Also, I'm someone with a big heart who cares for people.

SW: You got famous because of your great results in competitions. How does it feel to come out of nowhere and rock the surf scene?
SO: It's cool. I worked very hard those last three months for it, and it seems to have paid off. It's showing me I can distinguish myself with the veteran.

SW: That's true. How would you describe your surfing? What makes it unique?
SO: I think what makes my style unique is I'm new. I have observed all the veterans, adopting mostly the same kind of style cause they evolved with the board and the wave. And me, I came after all the waves and boards were set up. I learned alone spending long hours, so I have built my own way to surf with what was present around me.

SW: Recently you joined Vibrations team. Why Vibes?
SO: When I started to surf, I met Cloudy Matova. She told me about VSA, the Vibers and SLSA. When Mori was first created, I started to hang here and met the Vibers pro surfers. I have shared time with them, and they became friends and people that I respect in the surf community. Also, they saw me evolve along the weeks, how I was progressing.

SW: Any favorite surfers that you learned the most from?
SO: It's hard to say. I got my base from youtube videos people have made like Colleen Brennan, Wil DeCuir and Cip Grut. Many surfers gave me hints and tips along my learning. I might forget to mention them all but they know who I'm talking about.


SW: What's the main goal for you in SL surfing?
SO: My main goal was to raise to the same level as the veteran and to win one SLSA competition. Now that I've acheived that, I think, I'm trying to fix some new goal.

SW: Is there anything you would like to add about SL surfing?
SO: I wish I could share my passion for SL surfing with the new arrivals on the beach. I have some new tricks not done in SL surfing before. It's my secret weapon to win JJ Lanes.




Share:

No comments: