20 Questions: Surf Perspective - Milo Voss

Submitted by Zelda Zimberman


1. Name: 
Milo Voss

2. Team: 
None

3. Surfing Since: 
Early 2007

4. Favorite Board and why?:
SSi because I cut my teeth on it.
Lately, I'm enjoying the HP.

5. Favorite Wave and why?: 
Epics and old tubes for a flashback and Mavericks for the newer stuff.

6. How did you come across surfing on SL and what was your first initial reaction to it?: 
My first board had a vehicle script in it. I bought it as a decoration for my first house on a beach sim. It had one pose, standing, and rode on any surface. Very primitive. I somehow found Bundoran Reef early on and grabbed a better board (Namiko) and saw actual waves you could ride. I was facinated with it all! I learned in those cold waters and spent every morning and night surfing there.

7. Are you involved in the SLSA (second life surfing association) in any way? (competitions, events, etc.):
I am a spectator, cheerleader and former Board member.

8. What are your thoughts or opinions on the direction on the SLSA from 2012 and beyond?:
I am very pleased with the direction we are heading in. New surfers are being introduced and the exposure now is better than ever before

9. What do/did you find positive and negative about it?
How would you like to see it improve more?:
The positive is allowing for new board types in comps and the negative would be that I wish it could be run more like a club and less like a Corporation, but I understand why the structure is what it is. I would like to see more SLSA events at Solace beach to increase the foot traffic.

10. Do you compete in any surfing competitions SLSA or non?:
No, not anymore.

11. What do/did you find gratifying and dissatisfying about  competitions?:
The good-It is a great way to fellowship with all the other surfers. The bad- My ass gets sore after the fourth/fifth hour.

12. How do you feel about the SLSA using non SSI boards for competitions? (ex; HP5, LSD, Action):
I was against it at first, but boy have I changed my tune. I am having a great time learning the HP board and never would have put this much effort into it unless I was "forced to" (in a good way). I'm pleased with the trial run and hope to see things like this included in future comps.

13. If you are currently inactively involved in competitions (surfing, judging, etc.) what was the reason for leaving? Would you want to come back and participate? Please explain your answer:
My Saturdays are not free like they used to be so I can't commit to comps like I would like to.

14. What are your thoughts on the team dynamics?
Is there a team you particularly like? Why?:
I love surfing teams. Any dynamic you want in a team can be found amongst our group. Casual hangout teams to cut throat point counters can be had. A true taste for every person. I have been on three teams, the Misfits, Livestrong and Tsunami.

15. Is there anyone on here that particularly had an impact when it came to surfing, mentoring, and overall being a role model for you? Who and why? Please explain your answer:
Everyone on the beach should be listed here. In a snapshot I would say my Mentor was Thor Bishop, who taught me more than just surfing. He was a Father figure for me when I first joined the Misfits a million years ago. Bobbi Laval is still one of my heroes and I always wanted surf with the dedication of Pova Rustamova. Abel Halderman is really someone special to me, that guy surfs so effortlessly it's like Neo seeing the Matrix.

16. What was your favorite moment or memory on surfing here?:
It was not a joyous occasion but one whopper of a memory. After Thor Bishop passed away in RL, the SL surfing community had a memorial tribute to him with 30 or so surfers paddling out at and laying wreaths in his honor in the ocean of Heliopolis . The beach was packed with spectators and the feeling of mourning plus togetherness was something very special for this world. A wonderful tribute to a good man.
I also miss Majini, that beach was a full time party.

17. Is there anyone you know or knew that isn't active as much in surfing and would like to see come back? Who and why?:
All my old friends! I'd love to see a bunch of people back on the waves like Malcom, Rich, Oronie, Socks, Kathy, Crusader, Rani, Poid, Seano, Kimmy, DeVinna etc etc.

18. Many people have strong opinions when it comes to SL surfing and RL surfing. What is your take on the comparison?:
It's apples and oranges. One is fantasy, one is real. The passions are equal in both camps though.

19. Do you have any advice for new SL surfers on here?:
Keep making turns on the water, learn your board and make as many friends as you can. Pretty soon you will belong to one of the best families on SL.

20. Any other thoughts?:
Let's have more SLSA parties!
Share:

2 comments:

Mick said...

hehe and hes still a goofbutt after all these yrs.

Anonymous said...

I resemble that remark Mick.

Milo