20 Questions: Surf Perspective - Aurora Jacks

Submitted by Zelda Zimberman

20 Questions: Surf Perspective is part of a continuing series SurfWatch will be running as participants respond to Zelda's questionaire.

1. Name:
 Aurora Jacks

2. Team: 
Lone surfer but owns The Piranhas

3. Surfing Since: 
2007

4. Favorite Board and why?: 
Fakt Black knight, because the ride is sweet on the maverick and I love Doxx's graphics.

5. Favorite Wave and why?: 
The maverick any size, the 100m because it's a great long ride and you have plenty of room to "play" on it and the maverick 30m because it's quick and short and you have to really concentrate and its tricky to stay on it, a bit of a challenge.

6. How did you come across surfing on SL and what was your first initial reaction to it?: 
I used to surf when I was younger in rl. I love the beach and ran a Caribbean estate. We heard there was surfing so I went and found the boards and saw the epic wave at another sim and was like "OMG I have to do this!!!!!". So I researched it a bit and entered my first comp at Chi. We decided to buy an epic and host a comp at our sim and were hooked!

7. Are you involved in the SLSA (second life surfing association) in any way? (competitions, events, etc.): 
I have friends that are. :)

8. What are your thoughts or opinions on the direction on the SLSA from 2012 and beyond?:
I hope that things are peaceful and fun!

9. What do/did you find positive and negative about it?: 
Well I have not been involved in the SLSA for quite a while now, but one negative thing I can say is the forums can be horrible. Advice, stay out of the forums unless you are signing up for a comp. Positive side, you make some amazing friends and it's fun to hang out with them at comps and beyond.
How would you like to see it improve more?: 
N/A

10. Do you compete in any surfing competitions SLSA or non?: 
No, I surf on my own hitting the waves late at night to chill, hitting the beaches of sl, or my own Braata Beach.

11. What do/did you find gratifying and dissatisfying about competitions?: 
When I surfed they were all in one day and got to be too long. And it seemed to me back then the judges were a bit for their friends and some things didnt seem fair, but it was different than what I hear now. Gratifying, hanging with my friends, listening to tunes, and watching people pull off their tricks!

12. How do you feel about the SLSA using non SSI boards for competitions? (ex; HP5, LSD, Action): 
I think they should, and always should have.

13. If you are currently inactively involved in competitions (surfing, judging, etc.) what was the reason for leaving? Would you want to come back and participate? Please explain your answer: 
Personal reasons, and back then there was tons of drama with some of the people and some dirty deeds going on, and I didn't want it anymore. Would I come back? I don't know, I have been asked by many to open up my team to compete again. FollowingWaves Sirbu still surfs under the team name.

14. What are your thoughts on the team dynamics? Is there a team you particularly like? Why?: 
I think a little competition between teams is fun! And I have always had a heart for Montego, SurfCrazy, and back in the day Da Hui. Just all around really nice people.

15. Is there anyone on here that particularly had an impact when it came to surfing, mentoring, and overall being a role model for you? Who and why? Please explain your answer: 
Colleen Brennan. She is always always always so positive and so sweet and knows so much and is always willing to share. And also a girl named Bonheur Chenuex,  she was a great person and a good friend and she taught me tons!

16. What was your favorite moment or memory on surfing here?: 
I once placed 4th in a comp, and we once threw a huge competition on our sims. We had 3 sims going stands, surf sim and a sim for live concert of Mankind, total count with everyone at one time was 110 people on the sims, and it was so fun!!!! Huge party and I think a lot of people really enjoyed it!

17. Is there anyone you know or knew that isn't active as much in surfing and would like to see come back? Who and why?: 
Hmmm that's tough, Robin Mapp, he was such a fair director and such a great guy. I haven't spoken to him in a while but him and his wife Monq are fabulous people and fair and incredible surfers!

18. Many people have strong opinions when it comes to SL surfing and RL surfing. What is your take on the comparison?: 
Um there is none, this is like video game fun. Rl surfing is real and it's a work out and can be tough. This is knowing what to tap on your keyboard, and wearing a small av. Which people used to do, which I thought was sort of lame. They would have their surf av because they could go faster and weighed less. And their regular av so I sort of thought that was a negative. I mean it's all in fun. Just surf yourself.

19. Do you have any advice for new SL surfers on here?: 
Just have fun and enjoy yourself and if you hear or see drama just smile and wave and don't get involved. Just have fun!!! You will meet great people and make some long time friends.

20. Any other thoughts?: 
Off the wave, there is no competition, so come together and enjoy each other on whatever beach you love. Because we all love the same thing, water, waves and sand and maybe a corona while tapping those keys. \o/
Share:

No comments: