20 Questions: Surf Perspective - Dax Verlaine

Submitted by Zelda Zimberman

20 Questions: Surf Perspective is part of a continuing series SurfWatch will be running as participants respond to Zelda's questionaire.

1. Name: 
Dax Verlaine
2. Team: 
Tsunami Team

3. Surfing Since: 
18 months

4. Favorite Board and why?: 
HP5 definitely because it's fast. I like. Also it manages the best. The other boards feel very slow.

5. Favorite Wave and why?: 
Depends. I like all but the important thing is the distance. Travel. To do some moves. But actually I like all the waves.

6. How did you come across surfing on SL and what was your first initial reaction to it?:  Surfing in SL has grown. For me it's excellent, especially people who are very good which to me is the most important. SLSA is an organization that's very well balanced. They are very concerned that things go very well. "OMG" was my first reaction. "Can I ride a wave?" But my friend Sunshine Zhangsun and I went to a store and bought my first board. Where it all started. But also Jordan, Colleen, Figger, Rick, Zelda, CK helped me a lot .

7. Are you involved in the SLSA (second life surfing association) in any way? (competitions, events, etc.): 
I am a photographer. I take part in two competitions and whenever I go to events to take pictures of surfers. I love this group.

8. What are your thoughts or opinions on the direction on the SLSA from 2012 and beyond?: 
My thoughts are good for what I said before. It's a very organized and disciplined group. It is also open to the views of others. And they listen to suggestions and try as much as possible for everything to go well. I have no negative opinion to the group.

9. What do/did you find positive and negative about it?: 
That anger on the fly. On development to make with respect to surfing on SL.

How would you like to see it improve more?: 
I would like to see more realism with boards.  I also think that they could make other arrangements such as putting obstacles in the path of the waves and avoiding them. I always think that. I would like to see the HP5 board work on the function of the wipe out. I would like to see two surfers compete on one wave without hitting one another.

10. Do you compete in any surfing competitions SLSA or non?: 
SLSA only. No other organization. I know of no organization.

11. What do/did you find gratifying and dissatisfying about  competitions?: 
I think comps are pure fun. Nothing daunting. I have not seen a death rivalry between participants. Compete to have fun and that's good.

12. How do you feel about the SLSA using non SSI boards for competitions? (ex; HP5, LSD, Action): 
I think it's good that its' opening to other types of boards. That gives the opportunity to people who do not use the SSI. Organization that is growing.

13. If you are currently inactively involved in competitions (surfing, judging, etc.) what was the reason for leaving? Would you want to come back and participate? Please explain your answer: 
I am not inactive. I am active on a daily basis regarding surfing. I surf everyday.

14. What are your thoughts on the team dynamics? Is there a team you particularly like? Why?: 
SLSA is very dynamic one can see that it works daily. Everyday they are reporting on various activities, and always at some point comes fun. And above all surfing is the ultimate goal. Very dynamic. My favorite team is team Tsunami. I belong to that team. Figger and Colleen  knew I wanted to be part of them and eventually I was part of them. I love this team, besides having the best surfer Wil Decuir.

15. Is there anyone on here that particularly had an impact when it came to surfing, mentoring, and overall being a role model for you? Who and why? Please explain your answer: 
Colleen, Zelda and Jordan also. Brody Bolero is excellent. I like the style of Lou. I love surfing. Although it is difficult to copy styles here each has their own style. CK Carver I forgot her style is unmistakable and has great charisma. But I love to watch them all surf and take pictures.

16. What was your favorite moment or memory on surfing here?:
I think it is definitely what happened in the last competition in Encinitas. I went to the semi finals with Wil Decuir. And then in the semi finals I tied with Lou and had to go to a sudden wave. It was very exciting. I think that's my best.  Above all the playoff with Lou.

17. Is there anyone you know or knew that isn't active as much in surfing and would like to see come back? Who and why?: 
I would like CK and Wicked Carver to return because they are very good surfers. They put flavor to the show and lately they have not participated. The real reason I do not know, but I would like them to return. And Colleen had not come back too but thank god for her return.

18. Many people have strong opinions when it comes to SL surfing and RL surfing. What is your take on the comparison?: 
No comparison. RL surfing is totally different. There is surf culture. Surfer mentality if you can match. But there is no question of execution compared. Many of us here are surfers in rl and are now retired and what better way to have the surfing then practice in SL.

19. Do you have any advice for new SL surfers on here?:  I would recommend them to integrate the group and always bring new ideas to improve the group :)). And continue practicing surfing because it's a great fun. And it's reaching people and surfing. There are very good ones like Lauren, Sarah, and her husband Alvaro. And I forgot my friend Petra Xaris.

20. Any other thoughts?: 
Hooray for SL surfing and congratulations to SLSA.
Share:

No comments: