SLSA Team Member Informal Survey - Part 6

Submitted by Kantbe Thursday

Prompted by some of the questions about teams being asked by people who are new to surfing in Second Life® and the SL Surfing Association (SLSA), Surfwatch recently conducted an informal survey of surfers who are currently registered as team members for teams who have had competitors in the SLSA competitions over the past year. While individuals will not be identified by response, the nature of some responses may be a bit individually unique and suggest who provided that response. For the most part, any edits to responses were kept to a minimum in order to provide anonymity to all. (Editor's note: This is part of a continuing series as SurfWatch posts the survey questions and responses.)

SW: You are listed on a team, but do you ever chose to compete as an individual rather than having your score counted toward the team? If so, how come?

I have always surfed for the team once I became a member.

I've always surfed with score going towards the team

I'm Surfcrazy, have been since Da Hui and before that Team Surf City.

Being on the team gives me a sense of belonging and I like having my score counted toward the team. I feel a little bad sometimes when I get low scores and bring my team down, but no one ever makes me feel that way--it's always "Everyone did great!" Everyone's very supportive and positive.

I don't compete often.

Heck no. I want to contribute any way I can. The easiest way to do it, is to surf for my team and contribute my score.

When I used to do simboarding, I chose to do so as an "Independent" rider. I got a lot of flack for it, but it was my decision to do this. The reason was that I failed to see any real worth to a team structure in an individual sport. I always saw the surfing teams in much the same way.

If they stuck to being social clubs, that would have been fine actually. I actually would have preferred that, but to add a team structure always made me squeamish. It put undue pressure on riders to perform "for the team", not to mention created situations in which "team rivalries" were taken too far.

No. I wouldn't have joined a team if I was just going to surf independently. I like surfing for the team so I'm glad to be part of it.

No for real..........why would you ask............ I stand righteous as a PIRANHA

Nope, I always surf for Montego.

(Editor's note: Stay tuned to SurfWatch for the next part of the SLSA Team Member Informal Survey!)
Share:

No comments: