SLSA Director Election Candidates Interviews


SurfWatch conducts these in-depth interviews to help voters get a clear picture of the candidates that are running for the Board and gives candidates an opportunity to introduce themselves to the voters. Although this is not a standard election, we feel it is still important for the SLSA membership to know about the candidates and their thoughts. Both Sunrize Mornington and Figger Arun returned their questionnaires. See their interviews below. Voting opens on September 9th. Stay tuned for more details!



Candidate Name:  Sunrize Mornington


SW:  You are currently ranked  #3 for last season's SLSA surf rankings and you've been SL surfing for more than 3 years.  We understand you have announced your intent to run for SLSA Director this term.  What qualifications, skills, competencies, traits, etc. would you bring as a director and why are you running?  

SM:  I decided to run for director to give back to the community that has given me so much joy. I will listen to all sides and try my best to be fair. I am a decent surfer and I consider myself to be a fair and unbiased judge. I will commit to being a director for the full term.

SW:  What areas of improvement do you currently see for the SLSA as an organization?

SM:  As always we need new faces at the comps, finances need to be stable and I believe we need a training/assistant program so others will know what it is to be a director. We also need more training for judges, head judges, marshalls etc. at various times and days. I believe this will help others understand the duties of these roles so they will be more inclined to volunteer.

SW:  What do you see as the top issues facing SL surfing in general, and what would be your first priority as an SLSA director? 

SM: I see the top issue as staffing for the competitions. Again I believe that with the proper knowledge of these roles people will volunteer more.

SW:  Why are you the best candidate for this job?

SM:  I don't know that I am the "best candidate" for this job, I just know I love the SLSA and want to help it grow and thrive.

SW:  What were you most satisfied with as an SLSA member last season?  What were you most dissatisfied with?  

SM:  I was most satisfied with the turn out of surfers and spectators. I was most dissatisfied with the number of volunteers, lag and the need to scramble to get the funds to support the SLSA and Arcipelago.

SW:  Anything else you would like voters to know about you?

SM:  Favorite saying: When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.~ Jimi Hendrix. I hate mornings, the night time is the right time. LOL  I love chocolate! Oh and Maldrul and I are NOT a couple. LOL (read our profiles)  :)

Give us a brief statement or opinion on some of the major issues the SLSA faced in 2011 and possible issues moving into Season 2 (listed below) :

1.  Were you concerned with  the low number of competitors signed up for the recent Open comps and what do you foresee for the future of the two-round, two-weekend SLSA competition format?

SM:  I was sad there weren't more people signed up for open comps. I think if there are less than 35 people in total signed up for one comp location we should make it a one Saturday event, combining the open and the pro.

2.  With the continuing decline of full surf sims with supporting neighbor sims for specators, and with more and more surf sims set up on Homesteads, what can be done to support the sim owners and ensure smooth running competitions?

SM:  Push for more donations for the sims that are hosting the comps. Post about them in the forums as well as send out notices and ask surfers to show their appreciation by donating to these generous people before, during and after the events. For smooth running comps... that requires volunteers, less objects and scripts on the comp sims and multiple anouncements when it is time for surfers to go to the surf sims.

3.  It has been an ongoing issue for the SLSA to find enough staff to work Pro comps, what are your thoughts on how to resolve this issue?

SM:  Training, training, training. Have classes at various times and on various days so more people can attend.

4.  The SLSA put into place a stipulation that a rider could miss one comp each season and not have it count against their rank in order to allow more people to volunteer to work comps. Most riders who use it are not using it to voluneteer but to do things in rl.  Should this stipulation go back to being for volunteers only or should all riders be able to use this? 

SM:  This is a tough question. I would like to say go back to volunteers only BUT that is not practical. RL does call us away from our love of SL surfing due to jobs, family etc. I do believe volunteers should receive some sort of acknowledgement and/or incentive for time served, especially for those that volunteer more than once a season.




Candidate Name:  Figger Arun


SW:  You are currently ranked  #5 for last season's SLSA surf rankings and you've been SL surfing for more than 2 years.  We understand you have announced your intent to run for SLSA Director this term.  What qualifications, skills, competencies, traits, etc. would you bring as a director and why are you running?  


FA:  Hey thats a compound question, are you allowed to ask those??    I'm running because the voices in my head talked to me and said Hey Figger run bro !


SW:  What areas of improvement do you currently see for the SLSA as an organization?


FA:  I wouldnt say improvement but I sure would like to see more new faces at comps.


SW:  What do you see as the top issues facing SL surfing in general, and what would be your first priority as an SLSA director?


FA:  Well you asked so I think one of the issues in SL surfing is the fragmentation - SSI and HP and Action/Reaction and LSD and so on, forgive me if I missed anyone or misspelled anything, its just divisive and splinters the culture.  I havent been around long enough to have experienced all the history but I think we should try to all be pulling together.  I have to say I have seen signs things are changing, but its slow.


I think the SLSA should be making a bigger effort to break down those kinds of barriers.  I dont have any set agenda and no first priority except to get up to speed ASAP and start helping out.    


SW:  Why are you the best candidate for this job?


FA:  Well frankly I'm probably not LOL.


SW:  What were you most satisfied with as an SLSA member last season?  What were you most dissatisfied with? 


FA:  I thought all the comps were great, loved surfin through the ice floes it reminded me of Canada :).
Most dissatisfied - well no biggies but I know a few real great people in the SLSA got burned out for various reasons and it hurt to see them go.  Hope they'll be back soon. 


SW:  Anything else you would like voters to know about you?


FA:  Don't believe that story Rayzz is tellin bout me and I am reliably informed that a Figger look alike has been seen in various speak easys and salons of ill repute.


Give us a brief statement or opinion on some of the major issues the SLSA faced in 2011 and possible issues moving into Season 2 (listed below):


1.  Were you concerned with  the low number of competitors signed up for the recent Open comps and what do you foresee for the future of the two-round, two-weekend SLSA competition format?


FA:  I love open comps and I wish we had enough surfers so that we could fill them every time.  Turns out one of the previous boards came up with a pretty good solution (thx for findin it Bobbi) so I think it can serve as a basis for going forward.


2.  With the continuing decline of full surf sims with supporting neighbor sims for specators, and with more and more surf sims set up on Homesteads, what can be done to support the sim owners and ensure smooth running competitions?


FA:  Wow I hope being a director isnt as tough as these questions.  


I hate seeing surf sims disappear and I think the SLSA should be helping surf sims more.  Exactly how to do so is another question.  Homesteads can run waves, and I'd like to look into video taping the surfing and feeding a video stream to the stands so we can put the stands somewhere that wont lag out the people surfing.  Any video experts interested ??


3.  It has been an ongoing issue for the SLSA to find enough staff to work Pro comps, what are your thoughts on how to resolve this issue?


FA: Dude, these questions are getting harder not easier !  


Obviously people have to be trained, and that should be a priority.  Beyond that, I'm sure everyone will groan but I think it should be mandatory for all competitors to hold a staff position in at least one comp per season.  Really, I do think that.  Honest.


4.  The SLSA put into place a stipulation that a rider could miss one comp each season and not have it count against their rank in order to allow more people to volunteer to work comps. Most riders who use it are not using it to voluneteer but to do things in rl.  Should this stipulation go back to being for volunteers only or should all riders be able to use this?


FA:  Hey are you trying to get me killed here?


We all know RL issues come up.  I think its fair that if you volunteered and worked at a comp you should not have that count against you.  If RL caused you to miss the comp that's something else.  I think if you're having an early childbirth of yer firstborn the directors should be able to make an exception however :).
Share:

No comments: