Surf In SL - Letter to the Editor

Letter to the Editor submitted by Rick Galli. 



Hello, friends.........

I just want to express a few thoughts, not make criticism or cause any drama. I just miss the old days and have been reminiscing about how Second Life (SL) surfing has changed so much and pondering why.  I was a resident of Majini Beach that I loved (so many good times).  It was a place where all were welcome and where everyone knew everyone.  I just loved sitting in Analog's chairs (Analog Jun) talking, flirting and, on occasion, smoking "one" (hehehe).  Always we danced. And of course we surfed a lot.  We had a lot of fun.  Competitions were only a detail.

Really, missing Majini.  It was a real surf community where people bonded.  That sense of commiunity seems offten to be missing today.  Just look for friends at the competitions - try to find just a hi, good luck, etc.   Why? I have to wonder.

We currently have many great surfing sims.  I love it, but never or almost never meet anyone.Why?  What is the surf in SL today?   The best surfboard?  The best script?  The best machine?  It can't be about just that.  Where are the people? Where are the friends? Ok...some have gone (we miss them much).  But where is the bonding of people? The welcoming of new people and the the building of the surf community?

Today, with all the new boards and waves ,we can do unimaginable tricks in the surf and make turns and jumps that do not exist in Real Life (RL), even at the top levels. I know we are talking about SL where anything is possible but would be this indispensable? Would this be amusing?  Should we only care about how we are being evaluated by the judges? Who does the most amazing tricks?  The best unimaginable performances?

I do not speak for me.  I never will have this pretension.  I know my limitations.  I know the limitations of my machine and my connection.  But I know, too, that a good performance also depends on a good connection and a good configuration of the machine.  I'm not a bad surfer in RL (hehe), I've surfed since 10 years old.  But here in SL, I do not have a good performance.  Almost 4 years of SL and never climbed a podium.  But, really, this is not important to me, and I will not let the surf or compete for it, never.  But I love to surf and, as much fun as winning a competition must be, there should be more.

I know as I reminisce, I feel like maybe something bigger and better has been lost. I really just miss a place to find my friends, all together.  I miss it.  I miss Majini, I miss the happy afternoons with a lot of talk, where everyone was friends, where all taught all.  I want a place to sit and do nothing, just sit and talk.  And, of course, to surf without wave wars, without board wars.
Why not release all the waves and surfboards?  Why not go back to fun and unpretentious surf?  Why not bring the spirit of Majini, back?

Awwwwwwww....I just miss it.

Thanks for your time to share my thoughts.

Rick Galli
Share:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiyas Rick!
Your warm memories of Maji are shared by at least ONE other person ;-)

I think we all miss "the old days" now and again but never doubt that the sprit of Maji will never leave us. Not if we collectively decide to preserve it :-)

Wherever we gather, dance, flirt, surf or just hang out IS Maji. Or Monkey, Tsunami, Mori, Chi, Mojo, Alliance. The list goes on.

What is important is not who wins on saturday but who you can mooch a ride home with on sundays :-)

In any case all those *cough* old friends are still around and we sit ALOT more these days (knee damage) so let not the spirit die. Call some old friends, TP their sorry arses to the beach of your choice and party like it´s.......2007!

That is what you miss :-)

/V

Mick said...

Maji? hell i still kick myself for buying that used van from Schrott (package deal with a surfboard). I towed that thing to Surf City and neither Rob or Ivan could get it to run. Ivan at least helped me getting the doors to open. If it wern't for sweet Revy I'd be the one needing a ride home.

We be veterans Rick, just showing up surfing is good enough for me. If it wern't for the contests we'd loose track of all our pals. Stay stoked guy! See ya surfing Ricky.

Mick
GO SURFING!

Buffy Munro said...

I very much enjoyed reading your letter Rick, and I somewhat relate to what you are saying. When we used to hang at Maji there were always people to hang with! People dropping by to catch a few waves, flirt, fall face first into the sand...As I tp to different surf sims now, I can't help but ask myself "where does everyone hang now?!" While the spirit of Maji, and indeed Mori, is not lost in a few of us, there indeed seems to be a diminishing feeling of togetherness.

See you on a wave soon
Buffy x x