Mari's Mailbag: Surfboard Crazy

How many boards do you have? I was looking through inventory today and counted 7 favs and then ones I had for sale, so I have close to 50 in my inventory. I collect surfboards like I do shoes - every color and, of course, kinis to match all that I own. It may not be collecting antiques, and they don't increase in value other than sentimental value, but I cherish each that I own. I honestly feel some ride better than others.  Maybe it's the graphics.  None have been modified, so it's got to be the graphics. (LOL) I found this I would like to share with you:

Excerpt from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfboard
A surfboard is an elongated platform used in the sport of surfing. They are relatively light, but strong enough to support an individual standing on them while riding a breaking wave. They were invented in Hawaii, where they were known as papa he‘e nalu in the Hawaiian language, usually made of wood from local trees, such as koa, and were often over 15 feet (5 m) in length and extremely heavy.[1][2] Major advances over the years include the addition of one or more fins on the bottom rear of the board to improve directional stability, and numerous improvements in materials and shape.

Modern surfboards are made of polyurethane or polystyrene foam covered with layers of fiberglass, cloth and polyester or epoxy resin. The end result is a light and strong surfboard that is buoyant and maneuverable. Recent developments in surfboard technology have included the use of carbon fiber. Longboards, as the name suggests, are longer (often 8 ft/2.4 m or more), and are also thicker and wider, with a more rounded nose than a shortboard. Shortboards are shorter (5–7 ft/1.5–2.1 m), thinner, and have a more pointed nose. They are not as wide as longboards and are typically more maneuverable. Other variants include guns, longboard guns, olos, fun-boards, fish, eggs, bonzers, quads, tow-boards, and hydrofoils. In order to discuss board design, it is helpful to have basic knowledge of the vocabulary used to reference each part of the board.

These are Real Life boards. Have you thought about Second Life boards in that context of design, materials used to construct them, prims and shape of those prims? When you stop to think of just the board in Second Life, it's amazing.  But take it a step farther and think of the wave we ride on.  To me, it's mind boggling to have such a wonderful experience here in Second Life. To me, it's pretty miraculous.
Share:

No comments: