Promising Surfer Series - Harbor Piers

submitted by Marianna Monentes

As Second Life (SL) surfing rolls into the Second Life Surfing Association (SLSA) 2010 surfing season, SurfWatch is dedicated to bringing to you those surfers that stand out from the pack in the Promising Surfers series. This edition, we're proud to present: Harbor Piers.


SurfWatch:  How does it feel to have stood on that winners podium?

Harbor Piers:  Simply put, it felt good. I had so much fun surfing that day and with placing 36th in the previous season's Mori Comp, standing on the podium was rewarding.

SW:  You placed 2nd with Desirae Beaumont and Bobbi Laval at Mori Pwani Invitational. What was that like to be in a 3 way tie?
HP:  To stand at the podium with Desi and Bobbi was an honor. These are surfers that I have always looked up to and who mean a lot to SL surfing in general. It wasn't long ago that Bobbi was teaching me how to surf fluffies, and now being at the podium with them was in a way, a humbling experience.

SW:   You just recently placed 3rd at SurfJam 15 at Mori. Way to go!  Tell us about the day. What was the highlight?
HP:  The day was really fun. SJ 15 really showcased what SL surifng is all about, especially with the no mod board rule. I had so much fun surfing and being able to surf fluffs. Honestly, the highlight of that day was me seeing MarkFoo (Waverider) make some really great pipe transitions. This may sound funny but it almost felt inspirational and motivating at the same time. Being at the podium with Mark and Kim Henig was an honor.

SW:  When did you begin surfing?
HP:  If I remember, I began surfing about a week after my first rezz day. Back then, I only came on SL once in a while, but when I did, I was surfing. I'd say I surfed on SL about 6 months before I gave the thought of competition any consideration. In Real Life (RL),  I feel surfing isn't about winning and losing, but when I realized that the community and love of surfing all come together in a virtual world for a compeition, I couldn't pass it up.

SW:  You are Team Boracay's owner and Captain. What is your best advice you give?
HP:  My best advice for a competition is to have fun and to do your thing.

SW:  What is the best surfing tip you have received?
HP:  This is a tough question. Many people have tried to help me with bits and pieces of it all that finally come together. The best surfing tip is to enjoy yourself, because if you can do that, you can't go wrong.

SW:  Who gave you the best surfing advice?
HP:  Many surfers have given me advice. Even the tiniest bits of advice go a long way. Off the top of my head, I'd like to thank Triston Mayo, Bobbi Lavel, Wicked Carver, Sexyboy Oh, Giavanna Melody, Kimmy Jigsaw, Marianna Monentes, Desirae Beaumont, and anyone and everyone that I have come into contact with at one time or another.

SW:  What is your favorite aspect of SL surfing?
HP:  My favorite aspect is the feeling you can get from sitting out past the breakers waiting for your ride, completely alone on a sim, or even with a crowded lineup. Also, the community of surfing. I just love the fact that we are a group of different people all coming together for the love of surfing, shredding and spinning like maniacs (laughs).

SW:  Do you surf in RL?
HP:  Yes, I do since I've been about 5 years old. Being from Jersey, it's hard to get to surf often during the winter, but those few months of summer and even the fewer amounts of good surf days are completely worth it. It is a huge passion of mine, and it is something I hold very close to my heart.

SW:  What prompted you to try SL surfing ?
HP:  The very first thing I ever did in Second Life was go to the old Reaction Surf Shop at Boneyard. I think I actually saw it under the "Showcase" section and just being a curious second life noob, decided to teleport. When there, I seemed to have met the nicest people who helped me out. From there, I also went to Quan Li Namiko shop where I talked to an original SL surfer, Aries Ashton, who led me to Weather Island. Then I met Sebastian (Saramago)at Weather Island, who gave me a board to use. I've been surfing ever since.

SW:  Whats your favorite board?
HP:  Currently, my favorite board is the board I surfed SurfJam 15 with, which is the SJA surfboard Fish Basic. I also recently had a new design made for one of my boards, which is a seagull in flight, designed by Angelle Aluveaux.

SW:  What advice would you give to a beginning surfer?
HP:  Enjoy yourself and welcome to SL surfing! Also, be patient. I don't know about all the surfers, but I am here to help any new surfers learn anything I can offer.  So if you are a new surfer, feel free to contact me. Have Fun!
Share:

No comments: