Surfing 101 - Regular Brain Goofy Brain

Mick Lunasea is a long time surf instructor (editors note: See High on a Wave, SurfWatch March 17, 2009), former SLSA Director, competative surfer, and owner of SurfCrazy surf shops. Mick will be periodically sharing his knowledge and expertise with the readers of SurfWatch.

I've always wondered why the bulk of surfing breaks in Second Life (SL) and contest venues are designed for right wave entry, meaning paddling into it from the right as opposed to paddling into it from the left. I've not taken a poll on it but i do have a theory. I beleieve it has to do with regular and goofy brain.

Real Life (RL) surfers preference in riding is most often facing the wave face. Looking at the wave over your shoulder has certain disadvantages. Looking diretly offshore to incoming waves, a wave that peals from right to left, is known as a 'right'. Malibu is a 'right' point as is Rincon and Kirra in Australia. Hawaii's pipeline is the best example of a 'left' it breaks from left to right.

A surfer riding Malibu faces the wave if his left foot is forward of their right, the right leg is dominant and usually stronger. The left foot rider is know as 'regular foot'. A surfer riding pipeline faces the wave with right foot forward of their left, known as 'goofy foot'.

The majority of surfers in the world are 'regular' foot, The right foot forward minority have been known as goofy since the 50's if not earlier. There are the gifted few who are switch stance, they can ride easily with either foot forward - a rairity.  Know it or not, ALL AVATARS surf as REGULAR FOOT! Were the animators of ALL surfboard poses currently in SL regular foot?  To find out if your regular or goofy foot hop on a skateboard. Which foot is forward?

What's this got to do with SL surfing? Being goofy foot is associated with being left handed but not always. I'm no doctor or scientist but there's definately a brain perception thing going on here, at least in my case there is. I'm a regular foot in the recent PCX tandem contest.  When Sexyboy Oh asked me which side I wanted to enter wave from, I didn't hesitate saying the right. I cared nothing about short or long board choice. I'm also thinking it may be an advantage not having RL surfing experience in SL. The wave facing preferences would not be an issue.

Ok until next time regular or goofy... Just GO SURFING!
Share:

3 comments:

Jimbo said...

OK, then riddle me this...I am right handed, surf regular, do EVERYTHING in life righty. Except for one thing, I hold a hockey stick left handed. Does that make me goofy, or should I go get my head examined???

Jimbo The Cart Boy

Mick said...

Jimbo... whats important is when throwing the gloves off for an on ice brawl... plant that dominant right leg while delivering upper cut. BTW often new rl surfers are instructed to use a fighters stance to obtain proper ballance. No head examination needed or consult with Marianna :)

Mick

Luscious Starship said...

Well I'm taking the gloves off, and I've made 2 "goofy" waves, and one "goofy foot" animation. Catch them at Topanga Canyon, Aussie Cove, and 600m above Tsunami Beach!

There's actually a relatively easy way to make a surfboard "goofy footed" so look for the "Goofy foot" feature in an LSD surfboard coming soon!