Mari's Mailbag - Judging


Just recently I took the judges training held by Second Life Surfing Association (SLSA) Directors Sally LaSalle and Desirae Beaumont. It lasted a couple of hours and was not only informative, it was really enjoyable. Learning what points to give for style, tricks and distance; learning to be impartial; looking at rashie color and not the name of the surfer. To me it's so important to consider each surfer as if it were me out there; doing everything in my power to ensure a fair score. You have to focus for the entire time you judge, sometimes 6 to 8 hours at a comp. Keeping your camera at the right distance to see everything then pull back enough to see distance ridden. At the end of the ride, you have to zoom to the next rider in line and begin again.

I loved it. I was able to see the strengths of the riders and the sheer determination when obstacles arise such as lag or the bellying that so often occurs. As long as you're up by the count of three, you are still being judged.  If, however, you cannot get up, you are judged up to that point to which you bellied. It's awesome to still be a part of the surf community even though I cannot compete due to an ISP that is too slow to execute the best tricks. For any of you who love the surf scene and want to contribute, I strongly suggest volunteering for SLSA as a Judge, Marshall or many other duties that arise at a surf comp. Think you will feel the same as me...its incredible.

Share:

No comments: