Syx Toshi wins Second Life (SL) Surfing Hall of Fame (HoF) Design Contest


As a follow up to his recent win in the SL Surfing HoF design contest, Syx Toshi agreed to meet with SurfWatch to answer some questions about his winning HoF building design.

SurfWatch:  How did you come up with your winning design - what were your influences?
Syx Toshi:  Unlike every other project I’ve worked on, I actually had an idea on this one. I had 3 goals:
1.  Have the new building keep a little of the old building.
2.  Incorporate the ocean.
3.  Build a building that would actually stand out and let people know there’s something special inside.

SW:  What made you decide to enter? Do you have an architectural background?
ST:  I actually entered on the last day, I built the entire building in about 3 hours. I heard about the contest and then forgot about it, but one night I just got a building urge.  I’m a biomedical engineer in Real Life (RL), but I did design 90% of my RL house, so I’m a frustrated architect.

SW:  What are some of the key elements of your design?
ST:  The main element I wanted to express was water, but not just have a fountain in the middle of the building. The glass actually is a titanium texture with an aqua tint - it gives a faint wave feel. I also thought that like RL HoFs, it should have history and be a place to exhibit what SLSA is all about.
I went with what I would consider a modern art deco theme.  It was an easy style to pull everything together.

SW:  While we have you - are there any deep dark secrets that you're dying to share with SurfWatch readers?
ST:  Well, first off my name is really Five.  I changed it when I entered the SL witness protection program. I actually just stand really still inside the HoF and hold a frame so it looks like I'm inducted.  It's a hit with the ladies (smiles).  I want to sincerely thank everyone that voted for me. There were 3 other skilled builders that entered buildings that could have easily deserved to house the SLSA Hall of Fame. It’s an honor to build the new HoF and my hope is it’s a building that can expand gracefully to house all the future greats of SL Surfing."
Share:

No comments: