Director Nominee - Syx Toshi

SurfWatch is conducting interviews with the December 1, 2009, Director nominees to provide voters with an in-depth look at their candidates. All candidates have been provided with the same questionaire and an opportunity to present their views. The interviews will be posted daily in the order in which they were received. Following is SurfWatch's interview with prospective Director, Syx Toshi.*






SW: Would you give us your current SLSA ranking, if any, and how long you've been SL surfing. Any RL surfing experience?
ST:  First, let me thank you for the opportunity for people to get to know me a little. I don’t surf competitively in SL, but I have attended competitions and seen firsthand the excitement of the competitors. As far as real life surfing, yes, I do, every chance I get. I love my long boards and surf primarily on the east coast of the US.


SW: We understand you have announced your intent to run for SLSA Director this term. What would you bring as a director and why are you running?
ST:  I became a member of SLSA shortly after arriving in SL and have really been impressed by the organization. My hope is that if I were to be elected, I would bring my RL experience in management and organization to whatever role I would be given. I also have real world experience in dispute resolution. To be honest, I have thought about running before, but was convinced when a friend suggested it. I would like to see the organization be more inclusive. I have friendships across the surfing lines, and I think that it could be beneficial for the SLSA to work with other organizations. It’s no different from RL sports - the SLSA could work with smaller groups or organizations to act as a feeder into the “majors”.

SW: What areas of improvement do you currently see?
ST:  In my opinion, I see membership as an area of improvement. The SLSA is one of the most organized groups in SL and the membership should be far greater. This is a really good organization, every group has their ups and downs, and for the most part, previous directors, advisors and members have done a great job keeping the organization together.  But I have about half as many members in my surf monkey group, and we’re just a beach. I don’t give anything away or have camping. I also think that the publicity, promotion and website could be more up to date. I know a lot of people think that this might be trivial in the wake of some of the more hot button issues of the last 6 months, but these are the things that get people interested on a daily basis. If there is a lot going on, people want to see it, and it generates excitement.  Any group SL or RL is only as good as its new members.

SW: What do you see as the top issues and what would be your first priority?
ST:  The top issue in my estimation would be forming or partnering with a group that would host amateur surf competitions. I can’t tell you how many people would like to get out there and be involved in a competition but are very intimidated. One of the great things about the group is there’s lots of camaraderie, but it can also be a little scary for those new to SL and or Surfing.  My first priority would be to fit into any role that would be asked. I have a lot of ideas just like anyone, but the group dynamic works at its most efficient when people work together.

SW: Why should you be voted in rather than any of the other candidates?
ST:  Well, thats a hard question. I know there will be great people running for the open director seats, and they all may have a lot closer ties to the everyday SLSA workings. So it might make sense to most people to have a well known name as a director, and I couldn’t argue.  But I am ready to serve the entire term, give my input on existing issues and ways to move into the future and bring whatever expertise I have to the group.

SW: What were you most dissatisfied with as an SLSA member in the past season?
ST:  I don’t think it would be fair of me to critique the job that former directors, competitors and or members have done in the past. I think when people really sit back and look at the group, it's been a really well run entity for quite a long time. (SL time of course)

SW: Any information we have not covered that you would like the voters to know about you and what you would bring to this office?
ST:  Well, I’m a Virgo, like long walks on the beach…..oops, sorry, that was for eHarmony. I think that my best trait is that I’m a problem solver. I understand what drives people in certain situations and would be very excited to serve as a director.

SW:  Give us a brief statement or opinion on some of the major issues the SLSA faced in 2009 and possible issues moving into 2010 (issues listed below):
ST:  Again, some people may think its not wanting to ruffle any feathers, but it wouldn’t be my place to criticize the hard work done. I think that a major goal for the directors would be to define and make as clear as possible the rules and requirements. This in itself is more difficult then it would appear. Translating one idea, let alone a concise and consistent directive, is very challenging.

Competition board variables, i.e, length, shape, weight (mod boards):
I would guess this is where I ruffle feathers; I think something has to be done to be more inclusive. This is one of the major barriers that separate surfing factions. I know it would be tough, but if there were a standard for performance and not a “this version by this creator”,  it would go a long way. I know just about every board creator and one thing they all have in common is that they work very hard to improve the surfing experience here in SL.

How to get more officials to work the competitions:
This would go back to my comments regarding attracting more members. The more members you have, the more participation you would have. It’s simple numbers. Additionally, I believe it also points to another comment regarding publicity and generating excitement.

The SLSA sim and how to fund it:
There is only one viable way to fund the sim and thats sponsorship. I’m not talking about an AD farm or a section with 100 shops. What should be done is to look at existing sponsors and offer a permanent (one season) ad placement on the sim. This could be creative, on a dock, the table tops of a bar, etc. We should also look outside traditional sponsors, for example, Tiki Tattoo.  Hatzfeld Runo builds the most amazing houses and accessories that are totally geared for the surfing community, and he’s an awesome guy. I could be wrong, and I’m sure I will be corrected, but I’ve never seen a Tiki Tattoo sponsorship. Now I have no doubt that I’m not a genius and someone has probably thought of this before, but these are examples of reaching outside the existing community. There are some great ideas out there; Surf Fest for one was very cool and Mick Lunasea and Revlon Benoir did an awesome job. Maybe there is a larger idea here that could be capitalized on to serve many needs.

Dealing with lag on competition sites:
Wow, another great question. I think the only real solution is sim design. I have hosted a few events in the past and have found that a design that keeps all unnecessary people, scripts, big hair and all other resource suckers off the surf sim to be a big help. The only other way is to push for development of waves that are less demanding on the sim. As people will see the new Teahupoo Wave and new Epic will be a little easier on sim resources. The advent of the sculpty wave has helped this, so I imagine that future innovations will take sim performance into account. As like any other product, consumer demand will drive the direction of development. The SLSA should be taking a leading role in providing input to the developers.

Dealing with wave/board tapping at events:
I would have to defer this to someone more knowledgeable then myself.

Ways to return SL competition surfing back to the fun and camaraderie of earlier times:
It’s always hard to go back to the “good old days” because no one ever remembers those days correctly. We all mythologize the past, but I think if you look at all the innovations and new people breaking on to the scene, its a pretty exciting time. Well never replace those who were cornerstones of the past, but I truly think by being more inclusive and attracting new people that “good new days” could be right around the corner.
Thanks again for this opportunity ,and if I could ask for the members to do one thing, that's vote!! Doesn’t matter who your pick is, just make sure it's a great turn out!

* Disclosure: Syx Toshi is also a special contributor to and sponsor of SurfWatch.
Share:

No comments: