Wax On In-Depth

Submitted by Colleen Brennan, Special Correspondent

I recently had the pleasure of meeting up with Sassy1 Fizzle and GiavannaMarie Melody and interviewed them for SurfWatch's on-going “surfer-on-the-beach” series called “Wax On.” SurfWatch randomly chooses a beach and interviews the surfers we find to ask them some basic questions about SL surfing and try to get a feel of who makes up our community and their thoughts on various aspects of surfing and current issues.



Anyone who knows Sassy and Gia knows that they are hardcore surfers who genuinely enjoy their time on the virtual waves. I asked them what they enjoy so much about surfing in SL and what motivates them.
Gia noted that she, “... loves the friendships and sense of community .” Sassy added she, “...loves the peace and tranquility I feel while surfing... always makes me feel a little better.” I think both sentiments go straight to the core of how so many of us feel.

There is a strong and lasting bond that develops from our common interest of sharing good times on the virtual waves. Both Sassy and Gia reflected on how they started surfing. Sassy recalled, “ I wish I had known about surfing when I first came to SL.  I missed out on it for two years before stumbling across it one day.  I was hooked for good from then on.” She continued, “Maxwell Silvansky taught me and was my very first true surfer friend and still is to this day."  Sassy also added that VW Sands has been a great influence on her and a great teacher and coach. She stated, “ I have learned a lot from VW.  His true calling is teaching.”' I know many of us would agree with that sentiment.
Gia had a similar experience with an early mentor. She credits SexyBoy Oh as the first surfer she met and recalls, “Then I met everyone else and made many friends. Everyone has been so kind.” Sounds like Sexyboy created another surfing addict.

Having both joined the SLSA competition circuit in 2009, I asked Sassy and Gia how they feel about competitive surfing. Gia noted that while she has a lot of fun, she can also take it seriously and practice hard because, "I am a competitive person, and I love them (the SLSA competitions.)".  Gia is a goal setter and does not think in terms of beating other people. She prefers setting personal goals such as making the top ten and then working hard to get to where she desires to be. Gia feels the need to give back to the surfing community and ran for an open SLSA director spot in the September election.

Sassy expressed some concern that the community sometimes gets off track and loses sight that the comps and all surfing “should be about fun and friendship.” Sassy is also a hard-working surfer, but she just does not realize she is working hard because she enjoys it so much. Sassy is a community person. She expressed an interest in giving back and perhaps putting her surfing career on hold at some point and participating in other capacities such as judging.

I am running out of wax but I cannot close “Wax-On” without including Gia's response to my question about if she has a favorite wave type. Clearly she likes her fluffs! Stating, “I love to dance in RL and to me, it is like tangoing with a wave. You have to ride the wave.  It does not fight you like the epic and other power waves.” I am off to tango, surfers! Be careful, you never know when we might drop in and do some waxing when you least expect it.
Share:

No comments: