Monkey Cove, Syx

submitted by Syx Toshi

Monkey Cove is about 18 months old. When I first landed in Second Life, I was very excited to see that not only was there surfing, but there was a thriving, friendly community of surfers. Being an RL surfer, it was really cool to see what was happening here in SL. I hung out at all the great surf spots, my favorite being Surf Camp and Tsunami Beach. What I noticed on all of the surf areas was that they seemed abandoned, not many people, and pretty much no changes when I would go there. Not that these places were bad, it just didn't feel alive to me.




So I decided to experiment with beach design and waves on a 1/2 sim I rented. I have to say, Heather (Goodliffe) and Sebastian (Saramago) were great answering questions and helping me out. After that, I was hooked and rented an entire sim which is Monkey Cove (237, 222, 22). Over the past 18 months, I've expanded and contracted from one sim to four and then back to one. I finally decided to go all in and bought four sims of my own to build the type of area I thought people would like, and that's where I am today.




Monkey Cove holds two surf beaches. One of the beaches has a full sim wave duration. We also have Surf Shop 6 connected to Monkey Cove right off the beach. I think that we have more of a variety of boards than any other single location I've seen. We also have a residential area that is worked into the landscape in a very non-intrusive way.



I think the biggest thing that makes us special is wave selection. We run Epic, Pipeline, Foam, Sunset, Jaws, and 3 different Action waves. These waves can run together or separate. I like to vary the waves so the surf seems a little different each time you come. This is where I'm trying to break the mold in SL. It seems to me that even at my favorite places, no one tries to mix it up to make it feel like a dynamic place to surf and visit. My real goal is to make Monkey Cove resemble a place I would surf in RL. This whole thing is a hobby for me, so I don't need alot of retail or residential space to pay for the sims, and it allows me to create a peaceful, ever-changing destination.


Monkey Cove will be hosting our first surf competition for the MUST organization. I'm pretty excited since this will be the first. We also throw group parties that are open to all every once in awhile. End of August, we'll be holding an Amateur Surfboard Design Contest with first place prize of 3000L, second place prize of 1000L and third place prize of 500L, with judging on September 5. Stay tuned for more details on the contest, the comp, and other events at Monkey Cove.






























This has been a paid advertisement from one of SurfWatch's sponsors. If you are interested in a SurfWatch sponsorship, contact Tauri Tigerpaw or Ashleigh Dickins.
Share:

No comments: