Sock's spot of the week - Nymphs Beach

By Socks Clawtooth, Senior Furry Correspondent.

After talking with some people, apparently I've got the 'privateer' reputation down now. It's to the point that I've been told that the surf doesn't exist 'till I find it. Well, yeah, I spend a lot of time on Second Life looking for new breaks and new places to go, but come on... I can't have found them all!

I wrote the Rough Guide list as a live document, but even then I only put out an update every three months. A lot of cool places pop up in the meanwhile, and I'd like to share them before the guide updates again. So this isn't a full fledged review of a surfing location. Think of it as a postcard from the grid. A cool surf spot that deserves a little highlighting. Some of these will be 'old' places that are well underloved, some you can still get the new wave smell from the break. But either way, it's a fun place that makes a fun change of pace from your favorite sim.
So this week, I want to kick things off with an underloved sim that's been around a long time, Nymphs Beach.

I've known
Nymphs Beach for a long time, but every time I go nobody else seems to be there. It's a shame too, it's a spectacular surf area. Loaners are on the beach for new people, but no stores, no groups, just the waves. And at night there's a spectacular bonfire on the West side of the sim. In fact, this was the first place I'd ever been on a shortboard in Second Life, as a loaner.


The break runs diagonally, to get the most distance out of the pipe and fluffy. The pipes are also unsynched, so you can play around on them as they come to shore. Very much a no-nonsense surf sim. It's got a nice feel to it, quiet. If you need to practice your riding technique, this is a great place to do it and be left pretty much to your own devices. The area is also spectacular to hang out in too. A great retreat into the woods, some exploring will reward you with a nice waterfall, as well as a few other nice places. Oh, and the sim is still near Helio and Black River Harbor, so don't be afraid to look around there too.

Useful links
SurfWatch: Sock's Rough Guide to Second Life Surfing (July)

SurfWatch Surf Reports: Black River Harbor: surfing serenity (20 Mar 08)

SLURL:
Nymphs Beach
SLURL: Heliopolis
SLURL: Black River Harbor
Share:

1 comment:

Kekoa Arbizu said...

I love Nymphs!

Always wondered why it's empty.