Wilfrid DeCuir tops new table

Ranked just 18th place in the first 2008 Season, Wilfrid DeCuir's win at the SLSA Reaction Shortboard Pro Surfing Competition at Boneyard on Saturday puts him at the top of the new season's table. The surfer's Season I was patchy to say the least, with Wilfrid only competing at just two events, but taking 4th place at Surfline in April and 7th place at El Corazon in June. Wilfrid's first win of the year was at a non-SLSA event, the inaugural TCH Surfers Open on 4th July weekend at TCH Estates.

"I'm totally stoked," said Wilfrid after his Boneyard win (see pic right). "I was glad I made the finals and that heat had excellent surfers all around. I had an excellent 'wave one', bellied the second, poofed a wave with my third and managed to paddle to a fluffy and I think I also had a small belly with my fourth wave, so I figured I was placed somewhere between 3rd and 5th. After it was all over and the scores came out, I said to myself -- ok I'm not 6th and so on, then cool, cool I made 3rd, no, ok 2nd, and then they announced Desi with 2nd place, it was like, OMG I won this!"


Meanwhile, Desirae Beaumont's second place at Boneyard earns here the number two spot in the new table, exactly where she left off last season. Desirae had a slower start to 2008 Season I, beginning with a 15th place in the first SLSA event of the year at Majini Island, but she put in strong performances at Surfline and Neart competitions later in the season, going on to clinch a big win at El Corazon at the end. Desirae also picked up a nice win at the TCH Surfers Open late July.

Wilfrid and Desirae are trailed by the Vibrations Surf Team's consistent VW Sands and SLSA newcomer Sunrize Mornington. Although last year's champion, Pova Rustamova, was knocked out in the semi-finals by VW and Sunrize, his seventh place still leaves him well positioned ahead of the next competition at Morant Cays. However, Wil's Team Tsunami team mates Colleen Brennan (third in Season I) and Abel Halderman (fifth in Season I) have some catching up to do, coming just 17th and 30th respectively at Boneyard.

The next Second Life Surfing Association surfing competition of the season takes place on an Epic wave break at Morant Cays on Saturday 20 September 2008.

Photo credit: Colleen Brennan

Useful links
SurfWatch: LIVE RESULTS -- Boneyard (16 Aug 08)
SurfWatch: INTERVIEW -- Pova Rustamova (24 Jun 08)
SurfWatch: INTERVIEW -- Desirae Beaumont (19 Jun 08)
SurfWatch: INTERVIEW -- VW Sands (7 May 08)
SurfWatch: SLSA 2008 Season II surf breaks announced (30 Jul 08)
URL: SLSA Season Table points (SLSA Forum)
SLURL: Boneyard
SLURL: Morant Cays
Share:

No comments: