Socks' Rough Guide to Second Life Surfing

By Socks Clawtooth, Senior Furry Correspondent.

One of the things I've noticed recently is a lack of an updated surf spot list. The most modern one I could find was about January... of 2007. One of the things I adhere to in life is that if you see a problem, you fix it if you're able. And after the 'Where the Hell is Socks?' video, I apparently have developed a reputation as a sim hopper.
And I guess I am.

So I began a project called simply 'The List', but it's been called Socks' Rough Guide to Second Life Surfing by enough people I'll let that stick. It sounds less sinister too. The guide lists over 60 sims that offer surfing waves of all types, with landmarks and where to find the waves. It also has some notes from myself about the waves, where to rez, size of the runs, and so on. All of the things that I wanted when I started looking for surf around here.


The guide is free in world, anyone who has it is free to copy/transfer. I'll also be putting them in 'give boxes' wherever I have a store, and I'll make it available to anyone who wants one. It's also available on Surfwatch Surf Reports, following the link at this end of this review. The idea is it's a live document, and will ideally be updated quarterly. Second Life beaches come and go so fast that sometimes a list is outdated a week after it's out there.


Surfwatch asked me for a review of the list. So I chose 7 surf sims to highlight. Let's face it, we all know the big ones. Manjini, Neart, Chi, Surf Camp, Boneyard, Tsunami. And those are fantastic locations well deserving of the reputations. But I want to turn you all on to a few other locations that you may not know about, all in the Guide and, as a side note, I know there's at least two beaches I missed. If you want yours in
Socks' Rough Guide to Second Life Surfing, send a notecard to me in world and I'll check it out and add it!

Weather Island's original Epic wave

Xenox Harbour - Surf next to an aircraft carrier!
The TP point puts you on a pier overlooking a nice fluffy run. To the South-West you'll see an aircraft carrier. Fly up and over it to hover over the fluffy run at (25, 141, 25) Rez your board, get on, and enjoy. Or, if you want more of a thrill, rez on the carrier deck, get on and push over the side for a 'woo-hoo' freefall! And it's not a "privateer" ride, I talked to the guy who owns the sim, it's cool!
SLURL: Xenox Harbour

Nymph's Beach
- a must surf spot!
Underloved, but a must surf spot!
Sim long, some loaners on the beach near TP point. Plus a spectacular bonfire on West side of the beach!
SLURL: Nymph's Beach


Moana'Ina Beach @ Weather Island
- the orginal Epic
!
For the history and for new folks it's got
freebies
. One of the oldest epics on the grid(in fact, the original), still running the old version pre Havok 4, so be warned. She's not the ride she used to be. TP takes you to the Weather Island visitors center, but should highlight the beach area. Great for new riders, lots of freebies all over.
SLURL: Moana'Ina Beach


Hana Aloha
- one of the stranger spots!
One of the stranger surf spots I've seen. TP point is at a fluffy run running 2/3 the sim length N to S, which intersects a Pipe run running 2/3 E to W. If you do it right, you can catch the pipe on the corner and have a double length run
.
SLURL: Hana Aloha


Japanese Sunset Beach*JSSA
- full of Eastern promise!
For a more Eastern take on surfing, visit Japanese Sunset Beach*Japan Second Life Surfing Association. I can't find a public rez area here, and all the boards seem to be "group only". The group you need to join is "Japanese Sunset Beach". Multiple staggered pipes and fluffies in a dedicated cove setting. Freebie wetsuit if you look on the W side of the beach.

SLURL:
Japanese Sunset Beach

Playa Escondida
- longest three-wide pipe!
Perhaps the longest synched three-wide pipe (no fluffies), on a full sim. It's almost, but not quite, like riding an Epic. Board rez area is a few steps north of TP point.

SLURL: Playa Escondida


Pondi Beach
- shortest pipe ever
!
An almost unknown fluffy ride
. A beach sim. Pipes and fluffies are separated here. Rez area is a pontoon out on the water (251, 181, 21), where you can find beginner board loaners. Fly over, I wouldn't trust the in-sim teleporter. Sales on beach area. And. The. Shortest. Pipe. Ever.
SLURL:
Pondi Beach

I hope that I've now whetted your appetite and inspired you to surf some new sims and check out the full version of Socks' Rough Guide to Second Life Surfing
Share:

No comments: