SurfWatch Interviews Gia Villano


photos by Leanne Mordue

SurfWatch recently caught up with Gia Villano, competition Second Life (SL) surfer and former Second Life Surfing Association (SLSA) Director, to find out more about the woman behind the surfboard.

SurfWatch (SW):  You came into SL in 2009. What brought you in?  How did you hear about it?
Gia Villano (GV):  Wow, great question! I came across Secondlife by accident one day when I was Googling a topic for one of my College Projects. With curiosity, I downloaded the Viewer to explore. I thought it to be very similar to SIMS game which I had played before. It didn't take me very long to find surfing. I think that curiosity is what still drives me today. Curiosity about other people, the changes within the game, and the unlimited possibilities of other things to explore outside the Surfing community I have grown to be a part of.


SW:  What did you think of it when you first popped in?
GV:  When I first popped in, I was amazed by the details of the different beaches I explored. At first I just had fun teleporting. For some reason I found that fun and exciting to just be able to POP into a new Sim and it was so different than the one I had just explored. Back then, I found it very unique how people chose names since you actually chose from a given amount of last names for your avatar.

SW:  What were some of the things you did before you found SL surfing?
GV:  HAHA OMG some things I did before I found surfing......If I tell ya...I will have to bite you! Winks with a grin! So Bloodlines had been a very huge thing everyone I think got involved in at least once in SL! I was a vampire! I even own the soul of one of our current surfers! But I found surfing within two months of being in Secondlife, so that didn't last very long.

SW:  Ha!  I think someone has my soul!  What brought you to discover SL surfing?
GV:  I grew up with the beach life. Going to the Jersey Shores especially Ocean City. I love the smell and feel of sand. My father was a surfer and tried to teach me as a kid. I was more into boogie boarding though. So for me to find a beach in SL was a no brainer. As I mentioned, it was what I explored. In one of my explorations I came across VW's (VW Sands) sim, Mori. This was the start of my surfing life in SL. From the very first wave, I was hooked!


SW:  What made you decide to compete? How did you find out about the competitions?
GV:  It didn't take me long to start to compete. I was picked up by Reef Riders and they all taught me how to surf. My first competition was on Mori. I loved the rush and thrill it brought to me in RL. I still to this day get those butterflies and nervousness. But for me it was more to it than just that, it was about having FUN and cheering on others. I never forgot how people were so friendly and pushing me to do good. I still bring that attitude and help new surfers enjoy their time competing. I don't exactly recall how I found out about the first competition. But I do know that first month I found surfing, I was right into the first competition that month. So I didn't have much time to practice!

SW:  What are some of your best memories of surfing in those early days?
GV:  WOW.....that would be like a huge book! Seriously.....I have so many of them. I think most people who know me, have heard a few of them....a few times over! I don't want to single out one specific moment since they are all part of who I have become within the Surfing community. Now, I try to bring special memories to those in the community whether they are a noob, old head like me...or someone in between.

SW:  What's kept you competing all these years later?
GV:  For me it is about having fun with all these great people. I do try my best and tend to always be happy with how I surf....I try not to put that much pressure on myself. I really enjoy competition planning and running the events personally. I love adding a bit of my own personality when I am Marshaling. I want to have people smile, relax and to have fun while competing. After 10 years, I still get excited for Competition day! So to answer that question....it is Friends, family and the love of Surfing.


SW:  What else do you like to do in SL? What are some of your favorite non-surfing activities?
GV:  I enjoy shopping! I am a shopaholic. Going to concerts and seeing other creativity in Secondlife is fun! Over the years I have hosted a few small parties. Whether it is a cooking feast, or a dance routine, I enjoy bringing people together and sharing fun times. Occasionally, when I do get away from the surfing scene, I enjoy driving my car and motorcycle collection. I have recently taken up flying my WW2 era plane. Years ago I did get into role playing as a Navi when the movie Avatar came out. But I am not much into role playing. I do enjoy making clothing and textures. That has always been a part of me since I started in 2009.
Thank you Tauri and SurfWatch for your consideration and all that you do for Secondlife Surfing.












Share:

No comments: