SurfWatch Interviews: Ilaria Monzon

SurfWatch recently hit the sand at the beautiful Bundy Beach to catch up with Ilaria Monzon, Second Life (SL) boxer, photographer, artist, and competition surfer, to discover what brought her to the world of surfing and what else she loves to do in SL.


Photo courtesy Gia Villano
SurfWatch (SW):  Tell us when and how you got started surfing?
Ilaria Monzon (IM):  I remember still, 12 October 2017, I came to Bundy Reef and I met Kris.  He was cheering for Liberty versus me in boxing match we had that day in a girl's gym (laughs out loud).  But Liberty gave me the link to go surfing.  I asked her first (smiles).


SW: Have you ever surfed in real life (RL)?
IM: No, because in Argentina when I was living there, and now in Spain, it's never been famous or popular.

SW:  Surfing is not popular there?
IM:  No.  Like we say, only four cats that try to ride the wave.  It's a sport of niche and not considered a sport, but a hobby for a few people (laughs).


SW:   You don't have to RL surf to have fun surfing in SL.  But what made you want to try it?
IM:   I know (laughs).  Here I love all challenges. I have to say, that day I was playing the semifinal of a boxing tournament (I won that tournament by the way), I felt the need to try something new.  Liberty was a boxer, too, so I asked Liberty if I can try to surf, and she gave me a landmark for Bundy Reef.
Photo courtesy Ilaria Monzon





Photo courtesy Ilaria Monzon
SW: We do need to get some photographs of you boxing, too (laughs).
IM: Oh yes, Frankie has built a new gym, too, so you can see me there also (smiles).  Sadly, that sport is almost dead now.  Frankie and all of us are trying our best to start it up again, for fun, like all sports here. Frankie, his girlfriend, and all of us, trying our best to revive it.  People have fun with that system. And I have many photos, too, of boxing in Flickr.

Photo courtesy Gia Villano
SW:  So did you fall in love with surfing right away?


 
IM: In one year in here, I admit I'm having difficulties.  Many, mostly, when you ride the wave, I don't know what I have to do (laughs).  Then criteria for scores are like talking hieroglyphs with all due respect (smiles).  But I have made many friends that are helping me very much.  And I am one that never gives up.



SW: So you are competing now in surfing?
IM:  Yes, I have competitions.  This year I only missed one competition.

SW:  Wow that's fantastic!  Do you have a favorite board to surf?
IM:   C-3. I have started it, and I like it very much,.  The LSD, I love it for great stunts.  And flow, too, I have tried it and seems good.



Photo courtesy Gia Villano
SW: What do you love about surfing?  How does it feel to be on the board in the waves?
IM:  The landscapes.  And the noise of waves are relaxing.  A how does it feel to be on board of wave? (Laughs)  I say to myself, what ido I have to do? And bam, I crash into small islands always (smiles).

Photo courtesy Ilaria Monzon

SW:  (Laughs)  You're funny!  Do you have a favorite wave or beach you like to surf at?
IM:  A part jokes (laughs).  I have to understand many things when I am on a wave, also because it's really totally new for me.  I still don't know what the waves are called.  And favorite beach, I love a lot Hummingbird Point.  It has the most beautiful photogenic spots.  Shi is really a cute person, too.

SW:  Do you have some music you especially like to hear when you surf?
IM:  No music.  I like all - I am universal on music.  But I never listen for surfing.  I prefer to listen to music ambient for relaxing when i surf.  But for music in general, my preference is rock and funk.

SW:  Thank you so much for spending time with us, Ilaria!  We'll be watching you surf from the stands.  And let us know when your next boxing match will happen!

Photo courtesy Gia Villano

To see more of Ilaria, visit her Flickr page.
Share:

No comments: