Surfers Bay Spotlight: Leanne Mordue

Submitted by Persia Bravin
Photos Leanne Mordue


From absolute beginners to seasoned pros, this series of exclusive interviews for SurfWatch aims to discover more about the people that paddle out and face the waves at Surfer’s Bay VIP. Today, we talk to one of the many female surfers that regularly rezz their boards at the sim – the vibrant and talented Leanne Mordue. Leanne is also one of the Lifeguards at Surfer’s Bay VIP and is famed for her dizzying aerials on the waves and her collection of artistic surfboards. SurfWatch sat down with Leanne (with an obligatory post surf cocktail) to find out more about this dynamic surfer and her passion for the sport.



SurfWatch (SW): Hi Leanne! Good to see you at Surfer’s Bay VIP – you are one of the most dedicated surfers here, so how long have you been surfing in Second Life (SL)?
Leanne Mordue (LM): A couple months now I think. I couldn’t for the life of me tell you when I started, but I’m sure it feels so much longer than what it really is.

SW: What do you most enjoy about surfing at the Surfer’s Bay VIP sim?
LM: Surfing for me is a way to forget everything; every worry and bother. My mind goes silent when I surf. It’s my joy and laughter and my stress relief. Why do I surf nearly all the time at Surfer’s Bay VIP? It’s the place where I first learned SL surfing, it has become second nature to surf the double waves there and a home amongst the wonderful people that visit Surfer’s Bay.

SW: You are always such an enthusiastic ambassador for the sport – what do you say to others to encourage them to try it?
LM: Just go for it! Let nothing hold you back! Rezz out your own board or use the C-3 rezzer and hit them waves!

SW: That’s the attitude!
LM: It doesn’t matter how good or bad you are: we all had to learn. As long as you are smiling during and after, that’s all that matters.

SW: You own quite an impressive collection of surf boards - what is your favourite type of board – and why?
LM: Definitely the C-3 or the C&C boards I create: I just can’t get used to any other board. They’re my pride and joy, what can I say haha!
SW: What’s your favourite soundtrack to surf in SL to – what music makes surfing even better?
LM: Ohh…That depends on my mood really. I switch between so many styles, but the most commonly used I’d say are folk and indie tunes and the rock/metal genre.

SW: You are one of the Lifeguards at Surfer’s Bay VIP and a helpful, friendly person – but how would you describe yourself in just five words?
LM: The most difficult question of them all by far! I would say…stubborn, sarcastic, adaptable, imaginative and warm.

SW: Having surfed with you many times – I agree! Finally – when you pack away your surf board, what else do you enjoy doing in SL?
LM: Photography takes the number one spot. No doubt about it.

SW: Your beautiful photographs are regularly featured in the Surfer’s Bay VIP Flickr group and I always love seeing them.
LM: Besides photography, I enjoy doing what I suppose what we all like to do - basically, enjoying SL and its endless worlds and possibilities.

SW: Thanks Leanne for your time off the waves and in interview with us at SurfWatch – is there anything that you would like to add?
LM: Just…no matter what people may say or think, do your own thing. Don’t let anyone stop you or hinder you from being yourself and doing what you want to do. Be kind, be courteous, be open and warm, but hold on to your ideals and traits. Don’t ever lose yourself, your imagination - or your creativity.
You can see more photos by Leanne8976 (Leanne Mordue) on her Flickr stream here.
Surf at Surfer’s Bay VIP: There is a group join fee of 500L which allows rezz rights anywhere on the sim. There is a C-3 rezzer and Maoli waves. Members can also set their home position on the sim plus there are male and female changing rooms in skyboxes. 
Share:

1 comment:

SurfWatch/Tauri Tigerpaw said...

Incredible photos, Leanne! Love this series, Persia!