The Final Heat: SurfWatch Interviews SLSA Season Finale Competition Champion

SurfWatch had a chance to catch up with Second Life Surfing Association (SLSA) season final 1st Place Champion Tyler Peace on his big win at the SLSA Bundy SSi competition on Saturday, June 23, 2018.



SurfWatch (SW): Tyler Peace is fresh off a first place win at the Second Life Surfing Association's competition season finale.  How does it feel to grab first place?
Tyler Peace (TP): Well, to be honest, it caught me off guard completely.  It had to be the toughest competition I have yet to compete in.

SW: Tell us why it was so tough compared to other comps.
TP:  The waves were not easy to surf with an SSI.  It was like gambling with luck almost.  Random bellies, random wave glitches.

SW: So the board was a bit unpredictable?
TP:  Yes, exactly.  It was all over the place.

SW:  What was your go-to move for this comp considering the conditions?
TP:  Well, the first step was to try to figure out how to cause those unpredictable things that would happen to not happen, like bellying. I spent hours trying to figure out why the board was bellying at random points.  And at the end of the day, I really didn't.  That's what made the comp so nerve wracking was the constant fear of that happening and ruining your entire wave.

SW: Oh man, what stress!  Did you feel at any point that you got it dialed in or was it wild from start to finish?
TP:  It was wild from start to finish.  And after watching the other heats, I realized it was that way for everyone else.  It could of been anyone's game, really.

SW: Was there someone else you were watching closely cause you felt like they might have more of a handle on it?
TP:  Oh for sure (laughs).  Bodhi Lowtide.  That guy can rip.

SW: He pulled up second nicely.
TP: He really did... honestly one wrong move for either of us meant 1st or 2nd.  One extra belly or fall off could of been the difference.

SW: So Bodhi was right behind you and Kristin was coming up 3rd - do you watch the other rides to see how they are doing?  Or do you pretty much just focus on yourself during a comp?
TP: I did catch a glimpse of it when they first got on the wave until the wave disappears but when I'm out in the line up, I try my best to not watch others surf because sometimes it can psych you out and make you more nervous.  I try to focus on myself more in the line up than when I'm in the stands.

SW: Did you know you were in 1st place by the end of the final heat?
TP:  Not at all.

SW:  Oh wow - so it was a total surprise?
TP:  Compared to my practice, I felt horrible about my surfing. I had a lot of mess ups so when I got up there.  1st was the last thing I expected.



 SW:  So what did you do to celebrate?  And don't say went to Disneyland (laughs).
 TP: (Laughs).  I wish I went to Disneyland.  Have you seen the wave pool there?

SW:  No, is it good?
TP:  It goes up to 6 feet, I think.  Something crazy like that.

SW:  Wow!!!
TP:  I know, right?  But to celebrate, I spent time with friends at Maverick's.  Cie (Cierra Theriac-Triton) played some amazing music.

SW:  Fun times!
TP:  Fun times for sure!

SW:  Is there anything you'll be doing in the off season regarding your technique? Training wise?
TP: I always try to continue surfing so I don't lose anything I may have picked up and because, of course, I love surfing.  But yeah, I'll just be at random beaches surfing whatever board feels right that day and trying to figure out that something new.

SW:  How about now without the pressure of a comp coming up, what other things do you do in Second Life (SL)?
TP:  Surf (laughs).  That's my life pretty much, but other than that probably spending time with my girlfriend (Solsty Kismet) and friends and going around to different events.

SW: Last question (laughs)!  What are you looking forward to for next season?
TP:  Just hopefully to be a part of it, not just surfing in the comps but spending time on the beaches where everyone's practicing and going to parties and having an all out good time.  Every season seems to be getting better thanks to some amazing people.

SW:  Okay, another last question!  (laughs).  Speaking of amazing people, is there anyone special you want to give a shout out to?
TP:  I wanna give a shout out to Kris (Marley), Solsty, and Jus (Strat).  They are doing an amazing job making the SLSA better.

SW: Awesome Tyler!  We appreciate your time and are proud to tell our readers you are also a member of our SurfWatch staff and they can look forward to more interviews from you coming their way!  Thank you so much!


Share:

No comments: