Director Nominee - Bobbi Laval

On March 1, 2010, the Second Life Surfing Association (SLSA) will be electing two new candidates to fill two Director seats who have just completed their six month terms.  The four candidates have already stated their intent to run, their SL surfing affiliations, and their vision for the SLSA at http://www.surfslsa.com/.  SurfWatch conducts more in-depth interviews of the SLSA Director nominees to help voters get a clear picture of the candidates that are running for the Board and gives candidates an opportunity to introduce themselves and their views to the voters. SurfWatch will not begin posting the interviews until all of the candidates that are participating have turned them in. This is a voluntary process for the benefit of the candidates as well as the voters. If a candidate declines to participate, SurfWatch will note as such when the other interviews are posted.

Candidate Name: Bobbi Laval

SurfWatch: You are currently ranked # 10 for last season's SLSA surf rankings, and you've been SL surfing since before the first SLSA competition in 2007. We understand you have announced your intent to run for SLSA Director this term. What qualifications, skills, competencies, traits, etc. would you bring as a director and why are you running?
Bobbi Laval:  I will start with the easy question.  I'm running out of a sense of duty, really. I have been surfing in the SLSA for so long that I feel it's time to give something back. What I would bring to a director position is experience. Experience in the sense that I have been involved with SLSA almost since the beginning. I have seen all the changes, and I know I have promoted or advocated at least a few of those changes. I have always been a bit technical minded.  Half of my education was in science and engineering, the other half in education. So I have always been interested in boards and the technical side of SL surfing. I have taught so many people to surf in SL and have coached a few, so have always thought about things like lesson plans and how to teach people to surf in SL. As far as traits, I have always liked to think I am a somewhat thoughtful person, that I try to understand the point of view of others from their paradigm before making my own opinion.

SW: What areas of improvement do you currently see related to SL surfing?
BL:  I know people are not always happy with the pace of change and improvements, and others that would be happy to just leave things the way they are. But there have been so many improvements over the seasons. Each improvement maybe not so significant by itself but collectively, when you look at it, SL surfing is so much better than it was in 2007.  Things are better now than they ever have been. That's not to say that there is no room for continued improvement. I think we should build off the improvements that have been and are being made by the current and past Boards. SLSA's new sim was a great idea, and we need to do everything we can to use it to its full potential. The Board now is diligently working on updating rules which have been outdated for so long. We have always struggled with the lack of qualified judges and consistency in judging and with qualified people to help run events. The training programs that have been started are beginning to show positive effects.  We need to make sure this continues and even accelerate the training of new judges. Gosh, there is so much, but basically I feel that small continuous improvements is the best way to maintain and grow a strong organization.

SW: What do you see as the top issues facing SL surfing and what would be your first priority?
BL:  There will always be issues that will need attention, and many are being worked on now. The SLSA survey that was recently completed has defined and clarified some issues for us to work on, also. If it hasn't been completed by the time the new Board members are elected, I think the first priority would be to finish the updates in rules, etc., that the current Board is now working on. The issue about boards needs to be worked on. If we are going to continue to allow modifiable boards, then we need to come up with some definition of what a surfboard in SL is. I feel we need to come up with a definition that will allow innovation and creative development but still have some basis to actual surfing. Though SLSA surfing has grown, I have always been concerned about how much turnover there is. People come and go in SL, but there are many who have stopped being active in the SLSA who are still active in SL. I think we need to try and find out why people leave the SLSA and see what we can do to keep the SLSA an organization that people want to continue to be a part of. The other difficult issue that I don't think has ever really been resolved is a basic philisophical difference among SLSA membership. There are those that strongly feel SL surfing should emulate RL surfing, and then there are those that are not as much concered about emulating RL surfing and try to get as much out of surfing as the waves, boards and scripts allow. There are lots of opinions and we know that really there is some balance. Some people have ideas of what that balance is, but we have never really had a full open discussion about this. We have never really come to a consensous about what good SL surfing should be. I think the membership and especially new members want to see this. In the same sense, we have not even developed a language to describe what we do. There are bits and pieces, but what one person calls a barrel roll is something else to someone else, for example.

SW: All the candidates are qualified - why should voters elect you over any other candidates?
BL:  Of course all the candidates are qualified, and everyone has something to offer the SLSA. I feel there is only one reason to vote for me, or for any candidate for that matter. Members should vote for the candidates that they feel share their values and ideas of what they want the SLSA to be for them.  Those candidates will be the ones that best represent them.

SW: What were you most satisfied with as an SLSA member last season? What were you most dissatisfied with?
BL:  I really liked what the SLSA did to mix up the events and kinda keep things fresh. The mixed waves at Mori, the pier at Sol, the single wide pipes and fluffies at the HOF Challenge. Not since Boneyard have we seen something really new and challenging. Even though the single pipe and fluffies at the SLSA sim isn't new, we hadn't seen a comp like that in awhile, and it was a great challenge to get back on the unsynced pipes. I was most dissatisfied with the lack of respect among members and the infighting within the organization. It really takes the fun out of it, and I hate seeing people get hurt.

SW: Anything else you would like voters to know about you?
BL:  I'm not sure what else to say. Besides surfing, I stay busy with my SL photography and art. I think I am the only SLSA member who is not a former director to be invited to be an SLSA Advisor. But other than that, I invite any member who wants to know more about my thoughts and views to IM me to chat about it. I would be more than happy to talk.

SW:  Give us a brief statement or opinion on some of the major issues the SLSA faced in 2009 and possible issues moving into Season 1 of 2010:
Removal of scripted HUDs and attachments for competitions:
The removal of scripted HUDs and attachments is fair and helps make the competitions fair for everyone. It has been shown how scripts affect sim performance. Not to mention that there are always whisperings and rumblings that such and such has to be cheating, is using scripts or whatever. I don't know if there is any truth to such rumors or not, but this rule lays those rumors to rest.

The disciplinary committee structure and penalties:
It's sad that we have to have a disciplinary committee but it's a neccessary evil. It's part of the enforcement process and is a position I would not wish on anyone. I know the decisions they have made were not taken lightly. The last penalty personally I thought was maybe a bit harsh, but it's not really my place to say that. I was not one of the committee members struggling with the issue and do not have all the relavent facts. But for so long, SLSA did not enforce anything at all.  I think this, in part, is why some things got so out of hand. So maybe we have gone from one extreme to the other. But I believe the rules need to be enforced fairly and consistently.

The SLSA sim and funding :
I think the SLSA sim is a great idea.  I know some people didn't like the way and how quickly it happened. But the Board acted quickly when there was an opportunity. I know that tier for the sim will always be somewhat of a drag on funding, but so far I have been told that the sim has been doing okay and seems to be supporting itself. I only hope that we can continue and improve what has been started.

The SL surfing Hall of Fame (HoF):
I guess being a member maybe I am a bit biased, but the HOF is part of SLSA history now. It's as much a musem as it is an HOF and maybe should be treated more like one. There has been a lot of history since SLSA was created.  HOF would be a good place for it.

Anything from the SLSA survey results that surprised you?
I didn't think anything was so surprising. It did help quantify what the membership is thinking. And it was obvious that a lot of newer members participated.  It's pretty cool that they are showing an interest.

Competition board/script restrictions:
I believe modifiable boards should be legal, though as it stands right now, I think there should be some standards in place that insure our boards maintain some resemblance to a surfboard. I know in Real Life (RL) boards, over time boards have gotten quicker and lighter.  That has always been the trend, but they are not surfing on reinforced cardboard either. That is pretty much the equivalent of what some boards are now. But under the current rules, there is nothing to prevent anyone from surfing on broomsticks, toothpicks, or any number of things. Some people have advocated stock boards or competition boards to help level the playing field. In the past ,this has been done, and I would not advocate that is something we should do all the time. But I think it would be fun and interesting to do it one time a season or so.
Share:

No comments: